Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UTMB (etc) 2013

Re: UTMB (etc) 2013

When deciding on what food to carry I've often started with thinking; right I need 300 calories an hour. However you then look at the massive pile of food you have on the floor that you need for 14 hours UTMB or 20 hours TDS (for me) and think I need a bigger rucksac! So I tend to go so 1 item per hour every hour, which has worked ok in the past (energy drink is in addition). I take energy bars (current fav Torq as they are very moist), gels (I now always take a complete variety as one year i just had chocolate and I couldn't touch it after about 8 hours) and protein recovery drink (Complan, goodness shakes etc - which are milk based but amazingly no matter how sick I feel I can still drink them!). Another great benefit of carrying your own stuff is that you can get in and out of the early checkpoints and avoid the stampede. I don't normally stop at Les Houches and I only fill water at Saint Gervais and Les Contamines. I even decide before the race that when coming out of a particular checkpoint, I'm going to eat that specific bar or have complan.
    Anyway whatever you decide to take it always helps if it's very accessible (if you have to take your pack off; even one shoulder; its not accessible in my book). I've run too many races where I carry really nice food, that i would love to eat but I don't because it's in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    1045 flight with easyjet pal ?
    Jepp, thats my flight. See you at the Airport/plane then?

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik The Viking View Post
    Jepp, thats my flight. See you at the Airport/plane then?
    yeah me my mate and his Mrs and another lass pal,will be in bar :-)

Due to last minute transport problems I am looking for accommodation from 30th August to 2nd or 3rd Sept - for one person. email me at [email protected]. Anything will do - I can bring sleeping bag!

I'm flying out from Liverpool (easyjet) on Tuesday - anyone else going then?

I'm doing the TDS and can't get my head around what help family can provide at the 2 stations. From the email I recieved a few days ago it sounds like they cant even touch you. Can they give me any food? Or can all they do is give you a few words of encouragement?

Ta

Re: Food
    I managed to get round the UTMB in 2011 pretty much on the food checkpoints but carried a bag of sweets and some other bits and pieces just to keep me going between checkpoints if I flagged. It really does depend on what you like and your stomach can cope with. The thread above gives the general gist of what is on offer - fill your boots!

CCC for me again this year,lots of interesting & useful banter on the forum,thanks for that.Did have one small problem on the preparation front,Dogtag insurance told me I was too old!!!!!! The BMC obliged.Good luck everyone,eat lots,stay hydrated & ENJOY.Ferry from Dover tomorrow AM.Camping Vallorcine.

weather forecast looks OK at the moment:

for 2400 metres alt it is

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chamonix/6day/mid

3600 is frezzing level

Forecast looking really good. It was a bit grim last year so it would be fantastic if the forecast is accurate - not so keen on the usual UTMB snow storm.

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-m...r_forecast.php