Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: War in Syria

Re: War in Syria

I wonder, in all the bother...is there anything to be said for saying a Mass?

US or our Foreign Policy has NEVER been dictated by ethical or moral considerations. If we do intervene it will be for vested interests e.g. the anti Iranian/Israeli lobby. Look at Iraq part 2 - There was no smoking gun - that was about contracts for the military industrial complex. If we had a rich history of ethical foreign policy we would have intervened in East Timor, Rwanda and we would not have stood by when Saddam gassed the Kurds at Halabja (worse still we armed him because we backed him against the Ayotollah in Iran.)
    If we were intervening on moral grounds then bravo us - It will certainly be sold as that by Cameron, but it would be a first.
    Surely the UN should exist for precisely these kind of violations of international law, but it's a completely toothless organisation run by a few countries with their own agendas.
    Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    And that's ok is it?
    Women and children easy targets?
    It's not ok Steve but neither is it a reason for another invasion, i don't see it as an attack on us or any other nation which is what would be needed for a legitimate case for war.

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    What happens when if the regime falls and the possibility of fundamentalist's getting hand on these weapons increases, would it be ok if they were exploded in our country against our people? come on Luke
    I wouldn't necessarily class the current Syrian government as not being fundamentalists. The fact they have attacked their own kind with deadly force to me shows they are overbearingly insistant on compliance.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned

How come we are in europe for all the rules, then when the war mungers come we side with the yanks?

Where are the euro sprouts?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Oh goody! One of these threads!

Two predictions:

1) Godwin's law will be invoked by page 2.
    2) The thread will go north of 30 pages.
    Why do you think I started it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Funnily enough a lot of the militias we would be supporting, who are fighting Assad, are actually allied to Al Qaeda - work that one out!!
    We are not planning to support or side with rebels, the plan would be to take out the regimes military capability to harm its own people.

Sorry guys, been busy in Bristol over the last few months so not really been online.

I'm torn on this. Assad's Syrian State is antithesis to everything I believe but the alternative is the Islamic Fundamentalists? Islam is an enemy is all freedom loving people like myself.
    A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Wow Parliamentary democracy actually represented the will of the British people. I was listening to Radio 4 yesterday and Eddie Mair said a poll had revealed only 22 per cent of people in the UK supported a strike on Syria.

We're obviously a nation fatigued by war and rightly so in my opinion.

Wow Parliamentary democracy actually represented the will of the British people
    It'll never last.

Can't help but think it'd be a good idea for the world to concentrate on using up middle eastern oil as fast* as possible. Then it'll just leave Israel and Suez and trouble points. Suez will probably be fine, Israel possibly many never be fine.

But any reduction in geostrategic meddling by global and regional powers may at least give the region a chance to settle down. Too many people with too many interests.

*arguably already doing this
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Yelsew View Post
    Islam is an enemy to all freedom loving people like myself.
    This statement illustates the problem of western propaganda.

The real villians are those western Christian nations that propagate this very inaccurate notion to justify their arms and armies.
    Last edited by XRunner; 30-08-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker