Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: English Junior Champs 2014

Might you not have discussed removing the Uphill race from the Champs with us before publishing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    Might you not have discussed removing the Uphill race from the Champs with us before publishing this?
    I wouldn't panic - it might need further reviewing yet.

Just wondering though, why do you think they should have discussed it and who do you mean by "us"?

Lecky is helping to organize the uphill, but all that's going through Duncan so I can't tell you much. Anni Wa! is under threat at the moment for reasons you will be aware of. On here for feedback, and so everyone knows what dates are in play.

We'll try to not please anyone as usual.
    Last edited by LissaJous; 19-10-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Any thoughts (from everyone) on a 3 from 5 series, plus a separate uphill champs?
    Reminder of what I posted over a week ago.

4 from 6 has worked fine over the years. The only issue I have is that a greater consideration should be given for the dates, particularly the County Schools. Whilst some may think that T&F should not be considered, Schools have 1st claim on athletes and competing for your local town in the County Schools is quite prestigious for many juniors.
    We'd never clashed until last year.
    If we are going to find such clashes difficult to avoid in the future, then I'd suggest a 4 from 7 should be considered, that is if the quality of the competition is to be maintained.

The 2014 races list can be found here.
    Further details will be published on the FRA website.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    The 2014 races list can be found here.
    Further details will be published on the FRA website.
    A good mix of races. Pendle is always a good venue for runners and spectators alike ( providing the gates are opened ! ) Rivington needs a bit of tweaking and the long road section could do with being replaced with proper fell, Coiners is always welcome, good to see 2 new venues at Holmfirth and Kettlewell organised by traditional fell running clubs, not sure about Clougha pike although they did have to change the routes at short notice last time we were there due to heavy rainfall. The Turner uphill in the Duddon Valley should be fantastic. This is one of the best parts of the Lakes and we will look forward to it. 4 from 7 I think is a good format.
    Last edited by Lefty; 25-10-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    A good mix of races. Pendle is always a good venue for runners and spectators alike ( providing the gates are opened ! ) Rivington needs a bit of tweaking and the long road section could do with being replaced with proper fell, Coiners is always welcome, good to see 2 new venues at Holmfirth and Kettlewell organised by traditional fell running clubs, not sure about Coiners although they did have to change the routes at short notice last time we were there due to heavy rainfall. The Turner uphill in the Duddon Valley should be fantastic. This is one of the best parts of the Lakes and we will look forward to it. 4 from 7 I think is a good format.
    Just to make sure I think you were probably referring to Clougha that had to change routes due to rainfall as we havent had to at Coiners.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    Just to make sure I think you were probably referring to Clougha that had to change routes due to rainfall as we havent had to at Coiners.
    Silly me yes I did mean Clougha and have now edited my post ! Yes Clougha is a great area and well organised. The last time we were there they had to change the courses at the last minute due to heavy rainfall and I think perhaps suffered because of that, it was decidedly dodgy on some of the sections especially in the woods and some of our juniors didn't like it. No criticism meant of the organisers though I'm sure we will enjoy racing there again next year.

Sorry, I don't like it and I am saddened by the direction the series is going.

No issues at all with any of the races as I'm sure that they will be fine, but the season is too much front loaded and the clashes reduce the likelihood of engaging with athletes and clubs from outside of the fell discipline.
    It feels to me like the Junior Do gets pencilled in first and then the races are filled in afterwards, because there is a drive to front load the series in April and May which I cannot understand.

I've looked at some of the exchanges I have had on email on this over the last few years.

1. It is declared at some point by all Junior Co-Ordinators about the desire to reach outside of the traditional fell clubs and areas.
    That has involved having races off-patch AND avoiding clashes with important T&F Dates such as County AA Champs, County Schools Champs and English Schools Champs.

2. Uphill Champs - on the one hand I am pleased it is a standalone event again. The driver for starting this was inclusion. Many coaches do not like the fell but may be attracted to an uphill only because the part they are concerned about, the downhill is removed.
    That 1 visit to an uphill race could be the spark that the athlete and/or coach needs to get them involved.

However that inclusion is blown apart by it being scheduled on County Schools Track and Field day again.

3. Overlap with Seniors. We have Pendle as English Champs, FRA Junior and it also happens to be the County Champs.
    Ennerdale I think is also in and that is the same weekend as the Turner Uphill - wouldn't having the Uphill tied in with Duddon work?
    Kentmere which is again in if my sources are correct, clashes with the Junior Do.

Does this matter - maybe not once in a while, but fell running is much more of a family feel than other branches of athletics and I know quite a large proportion of parents run - some to a decent level.
    In the past we've generally managed to have a junior series that has avoided Senior Champs races - this year we have them sharing venues.
    Does that compromise Environment and Access Guidelines?
    I'm sure the people of Barley will know about it when 600 runners and their support crew land on Barley Saturday and then a further 400 on Sunday.
    Of course there will still be the junior races whatever, but without FRA Junior they would be a lower key local affair with far fewer numbers.

The FRA Junior Series would have a much better feel for it (in my opinion) if we left Pendle alone this year and picked a race later in the year.
    eg. Darwen in August would be perfect and could also be the trial race for the Home Internationals.

It would also be better if Holmfirth could be moved a week later then we avoid the clash with County AA Champs.
    I expect this date will actually create problems within Holmfirth as athletes have to pick as well as officials / marshalls because without a doubt Holmfirth will have a sizeable presence at the Yorkshire T&F Champs on the same weekend.