Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lakes a wildlife desert?

The Lakes a wildlife desert?

"The Lake District is a wildlife desert" according to GOerge Monbiot of the Guardian. I don't agree with that at all but there's acertain truth to the fact that the landscape in the Lakes is a creation of centuries of sheep farming, something now that can only really survive with heavy subsidies.

The same could be said of the Dales too and, in fact, I was having that exact conversation the other day. For sure the Lakes is stunning and has tons of wildlife, whatever George says, but is it natural and does it deserve world heritage status in its current form?

Re: The Lakes a wildlife deser

Theres almost zero natural habitation in Uk Stolly! Most of Scotland is designed for rearing Grouse and Deer! North York Moors...Grouse. Norfolk is heavily maintained and I believe not natural anyway...peat diggings or something? Beaches are pretty natural, Irish bogs? Dartmoot...I'd guess sheep manicured? All very nice though....
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

hang on a mo'.
    People have been farming in the Lake District for 6000 years. Intensive sheep rearing started in the 14th century. So why is this suddenly an issue?
    It's odd that he seems to criticise intensive agriculture then says that "Few kinds of farming have done more harm in proportion to their output than the keeping of sheep in the hills. Productivity is tiny: the farm the bid cites as an example of good practice keeps just one sheep per hectare". Surely you can't have it both ways?
    I also think he's confusing the people who own the land with the people that live and work in the area: most farmers are tenants and, believe it or not, have an intimate relationship with the land.

Doesn't stop them buggering it up, sometimes, mind you.

It's interesting that he doesn't once refer to the impact the increase in visitors to the Lakes has had on the "natural" environment, nor how World Heritage Status will affect this.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    "The Lake District is a wildlife desert" according to GOerge Monbiot of the Guardian. I don't agree with that at all but there's acertain truth to the fact that the landscape in the Lakes is a creation of centuries of sheep farming, something now that can only really survive with heavy subsidies.

The same could be said of the Dales too and, in fact, I was having that exact conversation the other day. For sure the Lakes is stunning and has tons of wildlife, whatever George says, but is it natural and does it deserve world heritage status in its current form?

There's the lesser spotted BGer, the long tailed fell runner and the great crested walker what more do you want?

People have been farming in the Lake District for 6000 years. Intensive sheep rearing started in the 14th century. So why is this suddenly an issue?
    We suddenly find ourselves with the luxury. Not often that's happened in human history, the pessimist may suggest it's a luxury that will not last.

The words of Frank Fraser Darling are ringing in my ears with this thread.
    pies

Aside from some of our less salubrious seaside resorts, the Lake District is probably our biggest tourist ( walkers, runners, cyclists, campers, caravanners & car-bound "gawkers" ) honey-pot and has a very high intensity of people generally trampling across it - just bound to scare off any self respecting wildlife that's looking for some genuine wilderness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    There's the lesser spotted BGer, the long tailed fell runner and the great crested walker what more do you want?
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 04-09-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, deer - red and roe, otters and red squirrels. Natterjack toads.
    Ospreys, peregrines, ravens, ring ouzel, red grouse, red kites, cuckoo, skylarks, woodpeckers. Not sure about the eagle. Millions of other common birds.
    Not a complete list, but one that suggests that the Lake District is not a wildlife wilderness.

Super Moderator

There is some fantastic wildlife in the Lakeland. Anyone who's hung around outside the Moot Hall of a Saturday evening knows that :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator

Joking apart: peregrine, merlin, wheatear, buzzard, red kite, dipper, yellowhammer, ring ouzil, snow bunting aren't difficult to see on and around the fells
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    There is some fantastic wildlife in the Lakeland. Anyone who's hung around outside the Moot Hall of a Saturday evening knows that :closed:
    That's correct. I spotted two polka-dotted orangeslappers only last Saturday
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners