Thread: Wasdale

Wasdale

Next month I'm going to be in Wasdale for a week and will hopefully have some time for short early morning/evening runs, probably 6-10/12km. I'm staying at Wasdale Annexe Basecamp, Wasdale, Seascale...anyone got any nice routes to suggest for that distance? Anywhere I should definitely get to?

Re: Wasdale

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Next month I'm going to be in Wasdale for a week and will hopefully have some time for short early morning/evening runs, probably 6-10/12km. I'm staying at Wasdale Annexe Basecamp, Wasdale, Seascale...anyone got any nice routes to suggest for that distance? Anywhere I should definitely get to?
    The Screes race route and Middlefell race routes are on your doorstep, both AS.

This is one of my favourite training runs. When not injured as I am now I spend at least 3 evenings a week in Wasdale, my dear old friend lives there and pretty much knows every blade of grass, sheep and rock so we plod about until we get hungry, tired or both.

Park at the head, follow the path to the left of mosedale beck until you reach a dry stone wall (NY179102) follow the wall keeping it on your right until about 100 feet from the summit where you bear right crossing the wall (it's quite distingtive on the ground) leading all the way up to Red pike summit. It's hands on knees stuff for a good 40 mins but worth it. From the summit of Red Pike follow the path round to Scoat Fell, pick up the trod to Pillar, up and over Pillar then head to black sail pass, you can either run down to Mosedale and back to the head or continue over or round Kirkfell and down to the head from Beck head or keep going over Gable and run back to the head from sty head via the moses trod path. It's a nice round which can be shortened or extended depending on time and how well youre moving taking in some fantastic scenary.

Another one slightly more off the beaten track is from Greendale taking the wasdale race route to Seatallan top, drop off the back of Seatallan and run on a left arc round pots of ashness towards Haycock. Climb haycock then decend the reverse Ennerdale route off Haycock for a short distance until you pick up the path at 149109 and drop off back into pots of Ashness heading towards Greendale tarn, before you reach the tarn you will disect a well trodden path (predominantly by me and my friend!) which is the junction between Seatallan and Middle Fell, take it left towards Middle fell, hop over that and run back down to greendale.

Hope this helps.

thanks Alf and Hazy, I'll get the map out and mark a few routes