Thread: Best phone reception - Lakes

Master

Best phone reception - Lakes

Looks like I will be finally getting a mobile phone - thinking of PAYG using a supermarket cheapie - which network has the best coverage in the Lakes? And any recommendations as to best cheapie - calls/texts mainly - most welcome.

alwaysinjured

Re: Best phone reception - Lak

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Looks like I will be finally getting a mobile phone - thinking of PAYG using a supermarket cheapie - which network has the best coverage in the Lakes? And any recommendations as to best cheapie - calls/texts mainly - most welcome.
    Am asking the same question - suggest you ask howfast ( the tracker bloke) there seem to be isle of man and irish simcards that rove the networks to find the best connection locally in patchy coverage, which is how they seem to manage to update almost every where.

Have a look at ovivo mobile ('freedom' plan), £15 initially for a SIM but it's then virtually free if you're a light user. It's financed by ads which you'll only see if you go on the internet on a smart phone.
    The actual network behind it is vodafone, which have reasonable coverage in some rural areas, though opinions seem to vary. I'm not sure you can rely on any of the networks in the sort of places we have our fun!
    Last edited by richsund; 07-09-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

Are you on ovivo Rich? If so, do you want £3 free credit as I think i'll get one of their sims and you can get the credit fir recommending it to me... Send me a pm if so.

PM sent, ta v much Paul
    I've used them for a few months and they've been fine. Bargain!

Master

What is Vodaphone reception like in the Lakes?

Another cheap one is Tesco - £9 for a Nokia 100 handset and Tesco SIM, then switch to their 'lite' tariff instead of the standard - texts about 4p, calls 8p I think. I don't know how their coverage compares to others. Worked fine in Keswick, a bit intermittant in Buttermere - but then everyone seemed to be climbing hillocks in Buttermere trying to get reception. Not tried elsewhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    What is Vodaphone reception like in the Lakes?
    Good, one of the only networks that gets a signal in Wasdale. Usually get signal on the bridge over the stream at top of NT car park.

As has been mentioned earlier, an Isle of Man PAYG sim card works very well - it scans across all major GSM networks and locks on to the strongest. The problem here is that Manx Telecom revised their pricing structure from 1st Sept and it's now 25p a minute no matter what .... not a problem in an emergency situation of course, but my solution is this:

Nokia 101 (dual sim) about 20 quid from Amazon
    Orange PAYG in SIM1
    Manx Telecom in SIM2

The reason I use Orange is that in my experience, that's been the best reception in the lakes - probably a lot to do with the Eskdale transmitter. Anyhow, that little combo practically guarantees reception wherever I go in the Lakes and of course means that in a real emergency, I will have the best chance of getting a message through.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Good info Martyn, it's nice to have info like this from people's direct experience.

Just another bit of info, I believe that "3" sim cards also use the Orange masts automatically where there is no "3" signal. "3" PAYG is quite competitively priced at the moment - 3p/min, 2p text, 1p/MB data. So probably better value than going direct to Orange, and potentially wider coverage as you get to use both "3" and Orange masts.

I've noticed that Orange are the best bet in certain parts of Snowdonia (eg Beddgelert, and out of Betws Y Coed towards Capel Curig).