Thread: Another newbie

Another newbie

Hi all, Can anyone suggest a good fell to run for a newbie (me) in the Lake District next weekend? I'm a former road runner and work as a fitness instructor so have got stamina but have only done two fell runs since I got into fell running a month or so ago, one was in North Yorkshire and the other was Hesket Newmarket show up High Pike (I think thats what it was called?) so obviously still a novice. I love the Lakes, was brought up holidaying there and have walked many fells, but I know running is a different kettle of fish

Any advice or suggestions would be great, thanks in advance :thumbup:

do you want a race, or just a suggestion for a training run?

whereabouts in the Lakes?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

If you've done plenty of walking in the Lakes, just pick one of your favourite walking routes and run it. It really is as simple as that.

For example - Newlands Valley horseshoe, Coledale horseshoe, Kentmere horseshoe, a round of the Consiton Fells...

What Geoff said

Master
    This makes a change to to the well used routes, park in the Haweswater @ Mardale Head car park then up Rough Crag, High Street,The Knott,Rampsgill Head,Kidsty Pike,Kidsty Howes, Mardale Head
    you can plot it on a map (it`s half the fun + it gives you a look at the terrain, better than a recce) should give you around 7½ miles and 3000ft of ascent..
    Plenty of scope to increase the distance over some lovely quiet fells away from the madding crowd + you can visit New Balance in Shap.

Have Fun

The older I get the Faster I was

Thanks everyone, great advice :-) Did the forum have some technical issues? I couldn't access it for ages so didn't see your replies anyway but some good ones for future! If anyone's interested I went from Greenside Mines up Sticks Pass - Raise - Whiteside - Lower Man - Helvellyn then (as the weather was setting in) I came off Swirral Edge down across Glenridding Common back to the Mines :-)