Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The class of 2014

Having failed in BG quest in 2013, I'm keen to join the class of 2014 asap (ie training hard over the winter) so count me in - can often manage mid-week
    Dave

Onward and Upward

Quote Originally Posted by dave314 View Post
    Having failed in BG quest in 2013, I'm keen to join the class of 2014 asap (ie training hard over the winter) so count me in - can often manage mid-week
    Go for it Dave!

Im in for 2014 training. Im going for a round last week of may or 1st week of june. i'll keep an eye on thread....

Im planning an attempt in apri/ may time depending on conditions so would love to get out on some reccies from jan with people :-) plus ill offer the servicess of sports massages to keep those legs going and cramp free if thats any good

Me too i'm in.
    I aim to get fit enough this winter. After supporting one leg I finally have a grasp on the required pace so for me it's a case of getting those loooonnnggggg days in
    My plan for next year is to have an attempt a month from around May until it happens......or doesn't and then i'll be back 2015.

Hi Mike

I'm in, thinking of having another go next year. Looking forward to some long days out, fwiw I think you don't need to do all the training on the route. It would be good to run other parts of the Lakes for a change, after all a hill's a hill.

Bill

I'm up for some Bob Grahaming too, as I want to nail it anticlockwise.

And Mikekeswick I admire your resolve to just keep attempting it until you get there (which is sort of the way I did it) but good luck trying it each month. I mean just arranging the necessary support for that is a D Day landings logistical nightmare . More seriously, although my legs were pretty quick recovering from all of my attempts, from a sheer tiredness point of view it became increasingly hard. Maybe it was just getting over the lost sleep or maybe it was all in the mind but wearyness creeps in. Last year I tried and failed 3 times, once towards the end of June, once at the end of July and once again late August (or maybe early September I can't remember) - the first attempt was a magnificent a/c failure, the second a slightly more weary clockwise one and the third a very weary (and possibly ill?) clockwise one. Each time the weather was awful too which kind of gave me a first rate excuse for failure but getting really ready for the first attempt is probably the best way of getting it done.
    Last edited by Stolly; 03-10-2013 at 12:50 PM.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkel View Post
    Hi Mike

I'm in, thinking of having another go next year. Looking forward to some long days out, fwiw I think you don't need to do all the training on the route. It would be good to run other parts of the Lakes for a change, after all a hill's a hill.

Bill
    Wow!

Thanks for all the responses,( and offers of support!) lost count of just how many.

Agree with training off route some times, take that LDWA four passes is probably a good bad weather route to stay out of the worst of the gales whilst still doing sensible climb per mile, that case 5400', 17,and has both black sail and honister for a brew if we get cold.

(PS I can't be doing with these new fangled metric measurements of hills, they may catch on in a few decades but most of us fogies think in feet)

Am also thinking of doing some night runs. It helps two ways up. It allows working folk to do midweek routes, and also allows nav and running practise in pitch black and clag.

(BUT - after Stollys round I am never,ever,ever (is that enough evers) doing leg 3 in black clag again!)

I think as a medium, I will put up one mid week, one weekend long outing a month, and I will try to avoid the big race days (such as tour of pendle) for the weekend outings.

Others feel free to post their suggested outings and reccies here too.

Will make the first suggestion in a couple of days, when I get over this lurgy.. Who gave me a cold at 4 passes? Own up...

As a principle, we can leave this thread to talk about rounds and dates.

I will start a thread on "reccies" also "class of 2014" to carry just the route details and times, to avoid having to search for them here.

(did anyone notice that May 16 (me), 23 , 30 have all been suggested, also a couple of early may and june. We need to try to firm up on those, probably closer the time.)
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 03-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Not decided if i will try next year or not but up for some recces and bag carrying. I have a team mate planning on going june ish so sure he will be up for it too.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    (BUT - after Stollys round I am never,ever,ever (is that enough evers) doing leg 3 in black clag again!)
    But leg 3 is the best one closely followed by Wasdale-Honister. I've done leg 3 in all weathers (and quite a bit of it at night) and have always liked it. I've never really liked the Helvellyn section in the dark, perhaps my judgement is clouded (sic) by losing loads of time on it on my first attempt.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back