Thread: Resignation from the FRA

Resignation from the FRA

I note in the Spring edition of the Fellrunner that the committee decided (??) at the December 2013 committee meeting we no longer needed a membership secretary.

So I guess in the absence of any further guidance I notify my resignation from the Association to the Secretary?

Perhaps one of the committee
    members could clarify this for the benefit of me and anyone else who may wish to take this course of action. Thank you.

(People who don’t want to know my reasons or who can’t be bother to read should stop here. )

A few years ago we had a rather engaging debate on here about whether we should throw our lot in with UK Athletics. I was one of those that argued passionately that we should not; and a referendum of the membership was held. The committee of that day recommended that we go with UKA and the vote was carried (as I recall) approx. 86% for UKA, 14% for independence. Fine, no worries, this was democracy in action. And how I believed such a matter should be resolved

Last year the FRA became a Ltd. company, a business move which I could understand, didn’t like it but understood the rationale. (I have a day job as an Operations Director in a S.M.E.)

However…

The current approach to safety management of races I have but little expertise on. I have industrial (water and manufacturing sector) experience of safety systems and risk assessments, method statements, and risk management plans. And although I have been on safety training course, I would not consider myself a safety professional; because I am not one! (In passing…neither am I a Race Organiser; though I have assisted half a dozen or so race organisers in various guises in my 18 years of being with the FRA (with 2 years on the committee as a member rep)).

But like some (though it would appear not all) I can see both the value and the essential need of using SQEP (Suitably Qualified Experienced Personnel) staff where they are available. Where they’re not available, in my company the job doesn’t get done – I will put a stop on it – because if it did, the consequences would be too high risk and when you’re talking machinery that can cut someone in half, you tend to err on the precautionary side!

Now whether it’s safety management or bookkeeping is somewhat immaterial – excepting in so far as the consequences (impact) of getting safety management wrong are potentially far more serious (fatal). If the FRA decides to undertake an area of business with staff who are not SQEP then that should be a concern for us all. I have seen nothing on the FRA forum or facebook page which has negated the ‘charge’ that non-SQEP staff have been used in the construction of FRA safety ‘guidelines’.

Additionally, the reporting of committee meeting minutes I now see with my own eyes to be inadequate and without substance. Surely the resignation of a committee member (Andy Walmsley) should have been recorded? The election of new member Ian Winterburn was! And the debate on safety at the December meeting…merited 7 words…??? 10/10 for concision Nick! The secretary’s report on page 5 of the Spring fell runner is quite remarkable for all the wrong reasons.

This is no longer a society I wish to remain a member of whilst it is governed by a committee who:- refuse to take advantage of SQEP people; who fail to provide adequate committee reports to the membership; who appear to stifle and personalise criticism of those who raise genuine concern and seek to initiate debate; and who appear to apply censorship on this forum.

I shall remain a member of the forum for as long as it remains a public forum (and until the end of the year – after all…my subscription is paid for this year!) as a social guest.

I have now applied to join SHR who look to share the same philosophy as I (and the FRA as was) and I hope in time I can re-join the FRA. And of course I shall see my friends on the hills.

In the words of my favourite comedian….May your God go with you!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Just advise the Chair or ex-chair on a club night
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Just advise the Chair or ex-chair on a club night
    yes, a bit ironic isn't it! Nice one Richard, your post made me laugh this morning!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    I note in the Spring edition of the Fellrunner that the committee decided (??) at the December 2013 committee meeting we no longer needed a membership secretary.

So I guess in the absence of any further guidance I notify my resignation from the Association to the Secretary?

Perhaps one of the committee
    members could clarify this for the benefit of me and anyone else who may wish to take this course of action. Thank you.

(People who don’t want to know my reasons or who can’t be bother to read should stop here. )

A few years ago we had a rather engaging debate on here about whether we should throw our lot in with UK Athletics. I was one of those that argued passionately that we should not; and a referendum of the membership was held. The committee of that day recommended that we go with UKA and the vote was carried (as I recall) approx. 86% for UKA, 14% for independence. Fine, no worries, this was democracy in action. And how I believed such a matter should be resolved

Last year the FRA became a Ltd. company, a business move which I could understand, didn’t like it but understood the rationale. (I have a day job as an Operations Director in a S.M.E.)

However…

The current approach to safety management of races I have but little expertise on. I have industrial (water and manufacturing sector) experience of safety systems and risk assessments, method statements, and risk management plans. And although I have been on safety training course, I would not consider myself a safety professional; because I am not one! (In passing…neither am I a Race Organiser; though I have assisted half a dozen or so race organisers in various guises in my 18 years of being with the FRA (with 2 years on the committee as a member rep)).

But like some (though it would appear not all) I can see both the value and the essential need of using SQEP (Suitably Qualified Experienced Personnel) staff where they are available. Where they’re not available, in my company the job doesn’t get done – I will put a stop on it – because if it did, the consequences would be too high risk and when you’re talking machinery that can cut someone in half, you tend to err on the precautionary side!

Now whether it’s safety management or bookkeeping is somewhat immaterial – excepting in so far as the consequences (impact) of getting safety management wrong are potentially far more serious (fatal). If the FRA decides to undertake an area of business with staff who are not SQEP then that should be a concern for us all. I have seen nothing on the FRA forum or facebook page which has negated the ‘charge’ that non-SQEP staff have been used in the construction of FRA safety ‘guidelines’.

Additionally, the reporting of committee meeting minutes I now see with my own eyes to be inadequate and without substance. Surely the resignation of a committee member (Andy Walmsley) should have been recorded? The election of new member Ian Winterburn was! And the debate on safety at the December meeting…merited 7 words…??? 10/10 for concision Nick! The secretary’s report on page 5 of the Spring fell runner is quite remarkable for all the wrong reasons.

This is no longer a society I wish to remain a member of whilst it is governed by a committee who:- refuse to take advantage of SQEP people; who fail to provide adequate committee reports to the membership; who appear to stifle and personalise criticism of those who raise genuine concern and seek to initiate debate; and who appear to apply censorship on this forum.

I shall remain a member of the forum for as long as it remains a public forum (and until the end of the year – after all…my subscription is paid for this year!) as a social guest.

I have now applied to join SHR who look to share the same philosophy as I (and the FRA as was) and I hope in time I can re-join the FRA. And of course I shall see my friends on the hills.

In the words of my favourite comedian….May your God go with you!
    Well said Stick, exactly why I am a member and the Pendle Cloughs Fell Race is registered under the SHR.
    Could see you on the 3rd May then!!!!

Fellhound
    Stick, spot on.

I hope the vast majority of fell runners will agree with you as wholeheartedly as I do. The events of the past few months really do beggar belief!

Welcome to the SHR,
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Banned
    All the bast Stick and thanks for your efforts and honesty, sorry to see another good man leave.