Thread: L'Etape du Tour mini blog

L'Etape du Tour mini blog

Hiya folks
    I successfully completed the 198 Km L'Etape du Tour on Monday 16th July.
    It took me just over 10 hours, maybe if I didn't eat all the pies and drink I may be nearer the 6 hours 22 that it took a French nutter!!!!!
    Had to cycle 10Km to start so really cycled about 208 Km. Good warm up though.
    Absolutely recommend it. Many many spectators shouting encouragement and supporting. Great comraderie. Beautiful views. Climbs amazing, especially the 18 Km up the Col du Port du Bales, ending with about 10 Km up a 1 in 10! Slog slog slog!!!
    Loads of people getting off and walking up the 3rd, 4th and 5th climbs, and my body saying "Hey great Clive, can we get off and walk!!". Really really had to have a chat with myself. Gears too big arghhhhhh. Managed to cycle up all the climbs but have to say, mentally the toughest event I have ever done. Passed quite a few on the last climb so must have paced myself right. Mad descents but only managed about 42 mph due to all of the hairpins and gravel across some of them!! Saw quite a few crashed competitors and stretchers and ambulances!!!! Scarey.
    By the 3rd climb started to melt, temperature climbing to about 40c. Tarmac on climbs melting. Luckily by this stage the locals had water bottles and hoses out for us.
    One legged cyclist wow, hats off. A couple of tandems. Lots of really strong female cyclists.
    1 Km banner, then Loudenvielle, the barriers, the crowds cheering and the finish clock. All over, maybe after Bob Graham next year, I'll be back to break 10 hours....or even 9.....who knows!!

PS To those who've already volunteered to help Crow Hill thanks, anyone else out there who can help?
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Re: L'Etape du Tour mini blog

Top one Clive. Sounds like a rest might be in order for you!!!!!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Top one Clive. Sounds like a rest might be in order for you!!!!!
    Hi Roadrunner
    No cycling for a while but I really have to run Widdop tonight (3 miles away and Mrs driving so beers and rude not to!) as I really need to show off my medal!!!!!
    Funny thing is with most of us is that when we finish we may be pleased but I guess we all then say to ourselves sh*t, if only I'd have done this or that I'd have broken 9 hours etc etc etc...
    Have you got any races coming up?
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

Clive

Respect to you mate: The etape du tour is one seriously difficult event as its always a mountain stage and always a hard one. This years looked very difficult. I have ridden a few climbs in both ther Apls and the Pyrenees and I think that on the whole the pyrenean ones edge it for pain.

To complete a whole stage is just awesome. Thats a real badge of hounour you have there mate.

Chappeau Clive! A serious challenge. It sounds as though you recommend the experience and how did you get the logistics sorted?

Love to have a crack at it in the future but just the practicalities make it unrealistic at the moment. I'm not the fastest cyclist but it's streets ahead of my running.

Did the scale of it all help form an opinion on the drugs? (i.e. you pro's haven't covered that in half the time it took me eating croissants and pop!)

Well done mate.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    Chappeau Clive! A serious challenge. It sounds as though you recommend the experience and how did you get the logistics sorted?

Love to have a crack at it in the future but just the practicalities make it unrealistic at the moment. I'm not the fastest cyclist but it's streets ahead of my running.

Did the scale of it all help form an opinion on the drugs? (i.e. you pro's haven't covered that in half the time it took me eating croissants and pop!)

Well done mate.
    Cheers for the kind words AJohns and Lantern Rouge.
    Logistics - I used a company called Sporting Tours, but next time might go on my own although have to go via designated companies to get a place.
    The training recommendation is for up to 250 miles some weeks although I managed on 150 max. Did a few 200K and 1 215K audax rides though. Also kept my fell-running and swimming going, these probably helping I guess.
    The opinion was really that the pros are great athletes with or without the drugs, look at yesterday's times.
    Go for it!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge