Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repeated Calf Injuries

Hi all,

Thanks for your ideas.

I've been having a think about my situation and I've decided that the first thing I need to do is improve my dorsiflexion, which has got noticeably worse in the last few weeks. So I've started doing this exercise "self ankle dorsiflexion MWM" - http://jessephysio.wordpress.com/201...-dorsiflexion/

Once my injured calf is healed the heel drops with a bent knee to isolate the soleus sound like a good idea to improve strength under eccentric load, and I'll also do seated heel raises with a weight on knee, again to isolate the soleus.

Weak glutes like Lyndon says above has come up for me before in the book "Anatomy For Runners" by Jay Dicharry (definitely worth a read; in fact I need to re-read my copy) - his theory being that weak glutes make the calf do more work than it should be. Glute function is something I have been working on this year though so should be better than it was.

If anyone has any more thoughts please keep them coming.

What shoes do you wear?
    You have got to think WHY it did it in the first place or else you may well end up in the same place as I was.....being scared to go out running in case it went again.

I have had the same thing and was out for about 8 months about this time last year. What worked for me was yoga, classes once or twice a week and use some or the more simple positions as warm up and post race stretch. Injury free since, more flexible and running more freely

Has anyone any more advice on this. I think I'm struggling with damaged Soleus again. Anything that has helped anyone else?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    When my soleus was injured the physio prescribed several exercises. Heel raises with both feet on a step, then lower with only one foot on the step. Walking on tiptoe. One-foot heel raises. Heel raises with bent knee, which I could never do properly. It took a couple of months before I was running properly again.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    When my soleus was injured the physio prescribed several exercises. Heel raises with both feet on a step, then lower with only one foot on the step. Walking on tiptoe. One-foot heel raises. Heel raises with bent knee, which I could never do properly. It took a couple of months before I was running properly again.
    Thanks that's very helpful. I think it is Soleus but it was pretty difficult to tell at first. Should see a physio I spose but it seems behind the Achilles and underneath the main calf muscles. Achilles itself doesn't feel painful. Thanks again for the reply those exercises make sense. 👍

I’m going to sound like a right miserable, patronising dad here, but having had a knackered foot all year, the only real answer is:

See a good physio.

I know you know this, and you said so above, but it bears repeating:

See a good physio

I know there’s loads of duff physios (OH LORD HOW I KNOW), I know it sucks because it feels like Google should just be able to diagnose the problem and offer a solution, but the only reasonable thing to do is:

See a good physio.

Sorry if this is coming across as patronising when written down, it’s not meant to, I’m just trying to be the angel of reason on your shoulder reaffirming what you already know:

See a good physio.

There’s probably (at least!) 5 different causes of the underlying problem… You can use Google to figure out what they all are, then spend 10 months scientifically trying the appropriate treatments for 2 months each, until one treatment actually works, and then you know what the cause was…

Or you can get a physio to just tell you what the devil is wrong with you.

Or do loads of calf raises

Good luck getting it sortedd!

Quote Originally Posted by skipchris View Post
    I’m going to sound like a right miserable, patronising dad here, but having had a knackered foot all year, the only real answer is:

See a good physio.

I know you know this, and you said so above, but it bears repeating:

See a good physio

I know there’s loads of duff physios (OH LORD HOW I KNOW), I know it sucks because it feels like Google should just be able to diagnose the problem and offer a solution, but the only reasonable thing to do is:

See a good physio.

Sorry if this is coming across as patronising when written down, it’s not meant to, I’m just trying to be the angel of reason on your shoulder reaffirming what you already know:

See a good physio.

There’s probably (at least!) 5 different causes of the underlying problem… You can use Google to figure out what they all are, then spend 10 months scientifically trying the appropriate treatments for 2 months each, until one treatment actually works, and then you know what the cause was…

Or you can get a physio to just tell you what the devil is wrong with you.

Or do loads of calf raises

Good luck getting it sortedd!
    Absolutely right. I think I'll just get on with it and get booked in.

Let us know how you get on!

This has been me, recurring calf strains for the past 4 years have all but stopped me running now when I used to be racing most weekends! I dabbled with physio but got injured the session right after i finished their programme so lost all faith and reverted to doing some stuff on my own, running fine for a few weeks then getting injured again (and repeat endlessly!).

Have finally just phoned up and booked myself onto Denise Park's waiting list, I won't get to see her until the new year but I figure if she can't fix me no one will, and so I know then to give the running up as a bad joke. But I miss it so much I really need to know once and for all, cycling is great but i'd estimate even at it's best it gives me 40-50% of the enjoyment that comes from racing round Langdale on a hellishly grim lakeland day!