Thread: Website Help

Website Help

Hey, I was wondering if I could ask for some help non-running related. I need to start up a website for a project I'm working on, but I know little-to-nothing about this kind of thing. A friend suggested using WordPress, but I have no idea how to use it. Would I be best to use something like 1&1 as it seems a bit more idiot-proof, and it works with WP.

Does this sound like a feasible idea? Or am I way off?

Thanks for reading.

What is the site for. How important is it for people to find the site? Will you be expecting it to do well on Google searches for relevant search terms. If you want it to do well on Google searches then a novice to this type of thing will really struggle to create a site that is "attractive" to the Google search robots. Creating an attractive/usable site is much more than typing a bit of text and sticking a few images on.

What is the site for. How important is it for people to find the site? Will you be expecting it to do well on Google searches for relevant search terms. If you want it to do well on Google searches then a novice to this type of thing will really struggle to create a site that is "attractive" to the Google search robots. Creating an attractive/usable site is much more than typing a bit of text and sticking a few images on.
    It's for an art project a few of us are collaborating on, I drew the short straw on the website thing so I'm just asking everyone I know for advice. It has to be up for about 6 months - a year, depending on how things go. It's really just to accompany the project and have something we can point people to online to see what we're about. So attracting Google bots isn't a massively important factor. For now at least.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, this has given me a bit more to think about on the matter, which is a big help.

Have you thought about doing something using a blogging account, http://www.blogger.com/

It's reasonably customizable, no cost and you can create user accounts for several people.

Have you thought about doing something using a blogging account, http://www.blogger.com/

It's reasonably customizable, no cost and you can create user accounts for several people.
    I might try something like that. It might be the safer option considering this is my first time trying this kind of thing. A bit harder to mess it up

blogger sounds like the way to go. you can get as fancy as you like with that engine. I have even added css and javascript to my own site.

blogger sounds like the way to go. you can get as fancy as you like with that engine. I have even added css and javascript to my own site.
    This seems to be a safer option. Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm a professional artist and I use clikpic for my website but I am thinking of changing to a weebly website. I'll pay for a professional membership but you can make a really attractive website for free using their software. I know a number of artists that have free weebly websites (Ian Scott Massie, Josie Beszant). I also use wordpress for my blog and that is free. I've got a facebook page too (you've got to really get your work out there when you rely on sales for your living!) and that is easy to use and very accessible to people plus you can interact with your 'likers'.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie80 View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if I could ask for some help non-running related. I need to start up a website for a project I'm working on, but I know little-to-nothing about this kind of thing. A friend suggested using WordPress, but I have no idea how to use it. Would I be best to use something like 1&1 as it seems a bit more idiot-proof, and it works with WP.

Does this sound like a feasible idea? Or am I way off?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Hes; 28-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

(you've got to really get your work out there when you rely on sales for your living!) and that is easy to use and very accessible to people plus you can interact with your 'likers'.
    Yeah that's something we've been discussing,about how important it is to interact with people on line. So much to organise, hopefully it'll all be worth it (at the very least, I'm learning).