Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Old County Tops

Old County Tops

Anyone got a link to where I can find an entry form for this please? And anyone got any tips/hints on routes, survival etc?!?
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Anyone got a link to where I can find an entry form for this please? And anyone got any tips/hints on routes, survival etc?!?
    I did this last year and had a fantastic day out.

I presume the address for entry forms is in the handbook (I don't have mine with me at the moment).

As for routes, it's fairly straightforward, really. From the New Dungeon Ghyll, over to Grasmere, Tongue Gill, Grisedale Tarn & Helvellyn. Down to Wythburn Church where there are excellent refreshments laid on. Then it's up Wythburn, skirt round High Raise to Angle Tarn where there is a kit check. Scafell Pike, down to Great Moss, over to Mosedale & down to Cockley Beck where there is another superb refreshments stop. Then it's up to the Old Man, back to the Three Shires Stone, down to Blea Tarn and you're nearly home.

As for survival, my number one tip would be to make sure you eat plenty whenever you can, but most of all enjoy yourself.

The organisation (Achille Ratti club) is superb and it is without doubt the best value for money day out anywhere. You get food & drink at 2 check-points as well as at the end, you get a t-shirt, Ray-net cover etc. all for about 7 quid, I think.

Oh, & did I mention, I really like this race?

Fantastic - just do it!

Thanks for the info GeoffB.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I presume the address for entry forms is in the handbook (I don't have mine with me at the moment).
    Same here! Will have to check later then.....

As for routes, it's fairly straightforward, really. From the New Dungeon Ghyll, over to Grasmere, Tongue Gill, Grisedale Tarn & Helvellyn. Down to Wythburn Church where there are excellent refreshments laid on. Then it's up Wythburn, skirt round High Raise to Angle Tarn where there is a kit check. Scafell Pike, down to Great Moss, over to Mosedale & down to Cockley Beck where there is another superb refreshments stop. Then it's up to the Old Man, back to the Three Shires Stone, down to Blea Tarn and you're nearly home.
    Think I'll go and recce it in 3 sections then. I like the sound of the refreshments Was only saying after the recent LDWA event that fellrunning ought to have refreshment CPs!

As for survival, my number one tip would be to make sure you eat plenty whenever you can, but most of all enjoy yourself.
    Yeah, think I'll have to get used to eating when running. Not very good at it at the moment. Did the Kentmere round the Thursday before Xmas without eating or drinking a thing 'til I got down!! Not good!!

The organisation (Achille Ratti club) is superb and it is without doubt the best value for money day out anywhere. You get food & drink at 2 check-points as well as at the end, you get a t-shirt, Ray-net cover etc. all for about 7 quid, I think.
    Wow!! All those sad, sad people paying £££'s to get into London!! Doh!!

Oh, & did I mention, I really like this race?
    No, you never said.

Fantastic - just do it!

Do you know, I think I will!! Got a willing partner for the race (it's run in pairs I believe), although I've told him he'll have to keep reduce his speed a bit for me!

blog

See you in May, then.

As for recceing, I would say the most important bit is from Scafell Pike to Mosedale. Crossing Great Moss & that area can be quite confusing, especially if the mist is down.

Old Counties Tops

I'm very keen to do this and have a couple of potential partners. I can't find much information though - only very basic details on the Achille Ratti website and a good report on the Northumberland Fell Runners site.

Does anyone have a list of checkpoints and cut-offs - and/or a copy of last years results?

Thanks

MH

Re: Old Counties Tops

Here you go Mountain Hare, not all the info you want, but some for starters;

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66

blog

Thanks mr1470 and GeoffB - I knew I'd seen something on here!

The old memory suffers a bit past 40...

See you in May

MH

Here are the cut-off times (08.00hrs start, don't forget):-

Angle Tarn... closes 13.30hrs
    Cockley Beck closes 15.30hrs
    Finish.......... closes 20.00hrs

I've got a copy of last year's result as a .bmp file, but it's too big to attach. So I'll give you a very brief summary:-

Winners - 7.28
    Twelve more teams inside 9 hrs
    Last finishers - 11.21

36 teams finished, out of about 50 starters.

There, I may have been slow to reply, but I got there in the end. (A bit like my running, some may say!)

Very useful GeoffB, thanks.

I sent off for an entry form yesterday and have a willing partner for the event.

If anyone else is looking for a partner I know someone who is keen to compete but needs someone to do it with - he's a 3hr ish marathon runner and a 5:20 ish Wasdale hobbler

PM me if anyone is looking to do it and I'll put you in touch.

MH

Re: Old Counties Tops Race

Have decided to do this as part of BGR prep (BGR on 30th June). I'm doing the Fellsman the week before and Jura the week after - it's going to be a tough old May!

It sounds like a really good event - food stops on the way round is clearly the future.