Angle tarn 245078
    World of Beatrix Potter 404972
    Scafell Pike 215072
    Cockley Beck Bridge 247017
    Coniston Old Man 272928
    Road/wall corner 291031
    Lane end Side House Farm (finish) 295063

Re: Old Counties Tops Race

Thanks for that, thought I might recce NDG - Hellvellyn - Angle Tarn this weekend

cheers P

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    There's a checkpoint at NY339098 (on the bridleway approaching Great Tongue, just near a footbridge I seem to remember). I presume that's there to stop you doing that.
    Arse! hat puts pay to that cunning plan then!

Quote Originally Posted by goose fat View Post
    New dungeon ghyll car park 296064
    path junction 339098
    Helvellyn 341152
    Wythburn car park 324136
    Angle tarn 245078
    World of Beatrix Potter 404972
    Scafell Pike 215072
    Cockley Beck Bridge 247017
    Coniston Old Man 272928
    Road/wall corner 291031
    Lane end Side House Farm (finish) 295063
    Think I'll have to recce the Angle Tarn - World of Beatrix Potter - Scafell Pike section soon. Could be some interesting route choices there. (Should be able to get an ice-cream, though).

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Thanks for that, thought I might recce NDG - Hellvellyn - Angle Tarn this weekend

cheers P
    Depending on weather and snow conditions....either going to recce the above or go for the Scafell Pike, Cockley Beck recce this weekend
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Question Re: Old Counties Tops Race

Which route is taken over to Grasmere. Do you go along the road from the NDG car park and over the the top past Raw Pike and Blindtarn Gill (which looks the most direct) or do you have to go another way to avoid running along the road?

Quote Originally Posted by goose fat View Post
    Which route is taken over to Grasmere. Do you go along the road from the NDG car park and over the the top past Raw Pike and Blindtarn Gill (which looks the most direct) or do you have to go another way to avoid running along the road?
    I hate to admit this, but we just followed the crowd last year. We went along the track from the NDG, a short way along the road then I think we went over by the path that leaves the road near Harry Place Farm, above Chapel Stile, below Silver Howe dropping into the south end of the village.

Cheers Geoff.

Just checked it on memory map and it saves about 100m of ascent and is a little shorter too despite first appearances.
    Last edited by goose fat; 02-03-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post

cheers P
    Hmmm another partial success. Did the above yesterday as planned but too many pies and not enough hills over the winter turned it in to a bit of an epic. We were late leaving Manchester and consequently managed to set off in a bit of a fluster from NDG taking totally inadequate clothing and sustenance. The weather didn't help - overheating in the valleys and freezing the nadgers off in the windchill on the tops but we were basically not up to the job and ended up totally knackered by less than half the race route . There's a lot of fell miles to be done between now and May if we're going to get round in one piece.

Descending Hevellyn we came down the spur N of Whelpside Gill and then crossed to the main path on a trod about 50m above the treeline - is this the best line? Going S of the gill looked good on the map but didn't look very promising on the ground.

cheers P

alwaysinjured

I think there are detail route issues worth looking at on the OCT

For example:

From grisedale tarn, dont follow the crowd up dollywaggon - take a long traversing ascent to the west aiming to hit the ridge at the col behind dollywaggon - whe we did this we picked up at least 10 places on those round us. OK it was only probably 2 mins in it, but every bit is worthwhile!

Climbing a 100' to stay well above the path to angle tarn then follow a level traverse gives a lot better running ground than the main path

Crossing from the base of little narrow cove , straight across the esk bottom to gain higher ground on the other side before heading towards mosedale was certainly a lot dryer than the valley floor

All worth considering?