Thread: Achilles tendonitis

Achilles tendonitis

So my achilles is really beginning to hurt post run and when I start running. If I keep on running how bad can it get? It isn't un bearable and once I get going the pain subsides

Cheers

It can get VERY bad. Been there, done that My advice is to take a rest and visit physiotherapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaja2737 View Post
    It can get VERY bad. Been there, done that My advice is to take a rest and visit physiotherapist.
    I will second that, if you keep running you are playing with fire. Stop and get it sorted now or you could be looking at a seriously long time off.
    I've also - Been there, done that.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

im there right now.. right achilles was sorted within a couple of months.. left is still tender 6 months in.. not nice was back to stretching without discomfort but left has gone back to square one.

Yes, I'm afraid they other posters are right. You'll need to lay off the running for a while and see a physio as it sounds like it is starting to get quite advanced. Try cycling as the next best thing as long as that doesn't hurt. But if you keep going, chances are it'll keep on getting worse until you are forced to stop. My last bout took 6 months to fully clear.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Walk around with barefeet a lot. If you've been wearing shoes with a heel in the past your achilles has shortened and so has your calf. Try physio's and stretching etc but you really need to be getting it back to it's intended length and suppleness. When your heel doesn't touch the ground the achilles isn't getting loaded quite as it should - this is what you need to change. Also remember all the other things attached to it are being affected and all the things attatched to them too.....Look at the bigger picture.