Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish winter running

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    It looks like the corsa is the 20xla replacement... seems 60cm is the shortest, I like the 50cm option, a petty that was dropped.
    hacksaw?
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Although I still often use my old Mountain Technology axe, which is shorter and stows away better on my rucksack.

Same here...45cms pack easily on to my OMM sack with out swinging around. I have about 9 various axes but happiest with the short one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Cheers for the advice guys. Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating microspikes in place of crampons, but it's useful to hear how useless they are! I knew the snow yesterday was powdery stuff so the microspikes were for any icy paths I encountered.

Don't worry, I know how to use one very well. I've practiced ice axe arrests to death (not literally...). Plus, as I said, have plenty of experience walking in Scottish winter. I have taken my axe with me on runs before but it's a climbing axe, so a bit of a pain to run with...

Very true, hence the post to get an idea of what others do. When talking about taking crampons, are you talking about something like Kahtoola K10's? I.e., something flexible enough to fit to fell shoes. My current crampons are G12s, which doubt would fit to trainers too well!

A couple more questions: What ice axes do people take out running with them, and likewise what crampons? And also, how do people carry the ice axe? I've always found it's easier to carry in my hands the whole route, mainly as my fell running sack doesn't have an attachment for one...
    I carry a BD ski touring axe - its very short and too light to be of use for general winter mountaineering stuff, but as it spends most of the time on the pack and only used to get out of trouble or on a descent or in terrain traps then it is okay. Generally wouldn't bother with crampons when running. Consequently if i'm out in the mountains finding i needed any of the above for most of the day, I just made the wrong decision and should have gone out on the ski touring rig.
    'Know the difference between a problem, and an excuse.'

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be buying myself an early Christmas present!

Looks like you can get the camp corsa in a 50cm length here: http://www.facewest.co.uk/Camp-Corsa-Ice-Axe.html

I must admit though, I do like the look of this though: http://www.facewest.co.uk/Black-Diam...ven-Ultra.html
    Last edited by Graeme78; 15-11-2013 at 02:30 PM.