Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyme Disease

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I understand there is a vaccine available for dogs
    It is called Advan-tic, I have treated my dogs with it, in Germany they have a stick-on plaster that is imprecated with some antibiotics for humans, so long as you put this on the bite within 48 hours it kills the bacteria that cause lymes.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I think something will be done in the UK over the next few years. LD is becoming more common and will start to constitute a significant health problem in certain areas. Up here, we know of plenty of people who've had it.

As for Avon Skin So Soft, my understanding is that putting that or something similar on would have an effect, not because of the smell, but because of the additional barrier it creates between tick and skin. As for dogs, there is something anti-tick in their worming and flea treatment. We always know when it's time for flea treatment shortly, because one or two ticks start sticking to them, whereas the rest of the time, ticks just don't want to latch on.

As for number of ticks, I'm not sure if I mentioned earlier in this thread, but on an outing at the end of Loch Eil last summer (through deep deer grass in a "de-sheeped" area), I got covered and, when I got back and we worked at removing them all, we reckoned near enough 100!! Not all latched on, but all wanting to. I will NOT be going there during main tick months!

By the way, they're back already this year, which is really early. Wondered what the lump was at the top of Sammy's leg after a run the other day....and ended up removing a fully engorged tick. Take care out there.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Isn't Advan-tic is a spot that should prevent ticks from staying on the dog, but not a vaccine. A specific Lyme disease vaccine for dogs is now available though: http://www.lymeinfo.com/prevent-Lyme/vaccination.html

I got a vaccine to prevent diseases carried by ticks when I grew up in Austria - but it does not protect from Lyme disease (http://zecken.at/schutzimpfung/impfstoff/ for those who speak German)

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]Isn't Advan-tic is a spot that should prevent ticks from staying on the dog, but not a vaccine.
    Sorry Britta you are right.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I have half a litre of Astragalus tincture, of which I have started taking a small quantity twice a day. Apparently it makes you unpalatable to the ticks and they won't latch on. If they do, you up the quantity to something huge for 10 days and that should deal with any possible infection... Still, I rather not get bitten again...

I have already seen the blighters active as well. We have had a wet mild winter, ideal for them... So far I have avoided bare legs out on the hills on the bike or on foot. I may just keep it that way!

However, the idea of avon skin so soft providing another barrier makes me think maybe the oil roadies put on their legs might do the trick... I will investigate if I can create my own herbal tick repellent oil to smother my legs with, wathc this space.

Alas, relapse hasn't gone yet and worried I may relapse further but so far it hasn't deteriorated drastically, fingers crossed!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Found a device in Millets yesterday that looks very handy. It's a credit card size piece of plastic for removing ticks. It has a part for large ticks and a part for small ticks and gives clear instructions on how to remove the tick without stressing them and causing them to vomit! Ideal for putting in your wallet and forgetting about until you need it. Much handier than the tweezers. Here it is:

http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/product...k-remover-card

following a similar discussion on the Mountain Leaders FB page and the increased threat this year I took a tick remover and some smidge(repellent)to Scotland with me...

over 3 days I removed over 20 of the critters that were crawling, and have removed 5 that were well attached.

I put the smidge on legs below the knee and on the arms below the elbow. I had no bites in that area, 2 on my upper arms, 2 on my stomach and bravely one on my nether region..!

so I'd be happy to say the repellent works.

as a foot note and a question I've just been sorting my kit out and found 3 ticks one in a plastic bag,1 on a buff and another on a windproof.

I just wandered does any one know if they can live indoors if brought in by accident

I'd guess that they'd dry out and die pretty quickly indoors.
    pies

That is a pretty scary number there IDP!!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    following a similar discussion on the Mountain Leaders FB page and the increased threat this year I took a tick remover and some smidge(repellent)to Scotland with me...

over 3 days I removed over 20 of the critters that were crawling, and have removed 5 that were well attached.

I put the smidge on legs below the knee and on the arms below the elbow. I had no bites in that area, 2 on my upper arms, 2 on my stomach and bravely one on my nether region..!

so I'd be happy to say the repellent works.

as a foot note and a question I've just been sorting my kit out and found 3 ticks one in a plastic bag,1 on a buff and another on a windproof.

I just wandered does any one know if they can live indoors if brought in by accident
    Ticks require a high humidity (>90%) to survive off a host so are not likely to set up an infestation in the home (although there are reports of Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Brown Dog Tick) infesting homes in the US. The most common tick to attach to people and pets in the UK is Ixodes Ricinus. They mate on the host (be that farm animal, hedgehog, dog, you) and then the female stays attached to suck blood before laying eggs up to 14 days later. Chances are you would spot this female before she laid any eggs anyway so you won't have an issue with them in the home.
    We've been looking into what's best to repel them. They are belligerent blighters as everyone knows and our standard pet products (Fipronil and imidacloprid based) don't always seem to repel them. Seems DEET on the legs is the best thing (although OK for us we don't recommend this on pets).
    In the vet world we have a real worry about the introduction of more exotic tick species due to relaxation of the PET travel scheme. If travelling abroad vets still recommend tick treatment and you should always carefully check your dog before coming back to the UK. A recent random study of pet dogs showed that 15% of them were carrying attached ticks without their owners' knowledge!