Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corporate Passion

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

What really frickin gets my fricking shlong, is people chewing chewing gum really loudly, whilst inhaling and exhaling air.
    I get the repeated urge to beat a colleague of mine to death with my sellotape dispenser!
    I wont be (sh) long, dear.

5s?

Sort
    Shuffle
    Switch
    Shout
    Sustain???
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I've learned the hard way that motivating people makes no difference to performance if the system is crap. You can build as many rafts as you like with your colleagues in an outward bound centre, put as many posters up as you want - it does not change what you go back to on Monday. If the system is designed poorly then you'll have no choice to provide crap and demotivating performance and/or find ways to cheat the numbers in order to survive.

The best way to motivate people is to understand that motivation is intrinsic. We each decide if something is of worth. If managers ask you, "what gets in the way of your ability to do a good job?" and work with you to fix that, you'll save a fortune on raft building weekends and end up wanting to go to work because that's the route to having a job to do that has intrinsically motivating things designed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I've learned the hard way that motivating people makes no difference to performance if the system is crap. You can build as many rafts as you like with your colleagues in an outward bound centre, put as many posters up as you want - it does not change what you go back to on Monday. If the system is designed poorly then you'll have no choice to provide crap and demotivating performance and/or find ways to cheat the numbers in order to survive.

The best way to motivate people is to understand that motivation is intrinsic. We each decide if something is of worth. If managers ask you, "what gets in the way of your ability to do a good job?" and work with you to fix that, you'll save a fortune on raft building weekends and end up wanting to go to work because that's the route to having a job to do that has intrinsically motivating things designed in.
    You should come and work where I am. Apart from we don't get raft building weekends. Alas, they wouldn't listen to you. They're heads are firmly, ostrich like, buried in the sand.

On our internal discussion board, there was a post from HR recently asking for people to say how great the company is to work for. After a week or so she asked again, as not one person had responded. Not good for somewhere that has about 7000 UK employees!

I remember an employee survey one year at my company where everyone said exactly what they thought of the company and as a result we had to attend about 3 months of useless meetings and pointless discussions with our line managers over how we could improve things. People were so fed up with all this that on the next employee survey everything was suddenly ok as they didn't want to go through all the discussions again. Not sure if that's how the management planned it but they were certainly happy about the result
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post

Spot on. You can't manage people; you can only manage systems. The systems should allow the least capable person to be able to do their job properly.

You've probably read it but the E-Myth by Michael Gerber covers all this.

There is no I in team but there are three u 's in shut the fook up.

2 surely?