Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft top cars

Banned

Soft top cars

Mainly driven by old blokes with no hair or young ladies possibly hair dressers.

Survey carried out over a 5 hour period on the M6 M61 & M62 on the 30th November 2013.

PS and I am 51 so old bloke means older than me.

You know you're secretly jealous and are already scanning the pages of Autotrader for a low mileage Mazda MX5...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    You know you're secretly jealous and are already scanning the pages of Autotrader for a low mileage Mazda MX5...
    Ha Ha ha Dom, not me, I am V8 4.6l Range Rover bloke with arm chairs as seats.

I am currently looking for an lpg one, comfort over posing for me my old friend.

Monster truck comfort over sports car speed every day.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire
    One of the cars still on my 'I Want...' list is a convertible

i've driven a couple (when we were looking, but eventually bought a XKR), it's the TVR Griffith 500
    Still turns my head whenever I see one, & makes me smile at the sound

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Not had one, but driven a couple of 4.6's
    First one was when I was picking up the 110Tdi, I owned at the time(late '97), back up from Copley Motors (Halifax)
    Salesman let me try one - coming straight out of the Tdi, it was a rocket-ship!..... with armchairs

Mindst you, going from a 2A Light-Weight into a 300Tdi was phenomenal too!!!

I'd really love a really nice original early 70's Range Rover, with the vinyl seats & 4-speed box, or a very late 300Tdi 'soft-dash Classic'
    (but a 100" wheelbase, not the 108")

That said, I'd also adore a 300Tdi powered/coil-sprung (conversions are do-able) 101FC - be great for the School-Run
    (be fun to park it next to the new Rangies that are there, or the pair of Bentleys!!!!)
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 01-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Still turns my head whenever
    Usually does this when it's parked on the roadside verge with the bonnet up I presume
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Usually does this when it's parked on the roadside verge with the bonnet up I presume
    Ooh that's harsh

The Griffith was a nice simple car; 5 litre V8, very few electronics, no fancy traction control,etc...
    They never had ABS, as Peter Wheeler supposedly said they never got the letter from the EU transport commisioners saying all cars must have it fitted

I've driven a Griff 500, at 'full-tilt', in the wet on a disused runway (Bruntingthorpe) & not spun/slid the thing - despite trying!!!!!
    PB260425.JPG

As for the Sagaris at the same place................ awesome performance, it put a Lamborghini Gallardo to shame!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The chelsea tractor? Mainly driven by rich women in posh sunglasses with fancy handbags. Nothing poser about them at all
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by The devil's own View Post
    The chelsea tractor? Mainly driven by rich women in posh sunglasses with fancy handbags. Nothing poser about them at all
    Doubt it?!

They stopped making the P38 (the 4.6HSE model) in 2003, so they're not 'in vogue' any more (sorry, a pun there that Stagger ought to get....)

It was superceded by the L322 (available with a magnificent 3.6 litre V8 turbo-diesel), now it's the blingtastic L405, which looks damned awful - to my eyes anyway

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Doubt it?!

They stopped making the P38 (the 4.6HSE model) in 2003, so they're not 'in vogue' any more (sorry, a pun there that Stagger ought to get....)
    Correct 10yr + were my type of motor with the proper V8 noise and grunt.

Plenty of grunt still around. My sister has recently sold her Overfinch range and that thing was terrifying! The new Ranger Rover sport is also a crazy piece of machinery for the size of the thing.

Though if you want proper v8 noise and grunt just get a cobra, or the new GranTursimo MC if you've got plenty of cash

My word
    Last edited by The devil's own; 02-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"