Thread: New Here

New Here

Hi Everyone,

New to the forums and loking to get started in Fel Running. I live in the Kendal area so I guesss I am in the right place to get started. I'd appreciate some tips on what sort of training I can do to get me from trail running up onto the fells.

Thanks

Phil

Just go do it Phil, Join a club is perhaps the best advice anybody could give.

Welcome to the sport.

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by phil40uk View Post
    Hi Everyone,

New to the forums and loking to get started in Fel Running. I live in the Kendal area so I guesss I am in the right place to get started. I'd appreciate some tips on what sort of training I can do to get me from trail running up onto the fells.

Thanks

Phil
    Pete Blands in Kendal do 'Breakfast Runs', it would be a good way to get out as a novice plus i think you get a free breakfast!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Pete Blands in Kendal do 'Breakfast Runs', it would be a good way to get out as a novice plus i think you get a free breakfast!
    Sounds outstanding that mr b

Welcome to the forum Phil. Hope you get into some running
    Poacher turned game-keeper

[QUOTE=Tahr;566036]Just go do it Phil, Join a club is perhaps the best advice anybody could give.

Welcome to the sport.

Thanks Tahr - not sure if ready to inflict my fitness/ lack of on a club yet! Might have to bite the bullet and just do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by phil40uk View Post
    Thanks Tahr - not sure if ready to inflict my fitness/ lack of on a club yet! Might have to bite the bullet and just do it though.
    It took me a year at least before joining a club, don't shove yourself into 'the scene' if you're not quite ready yet. Low level routes can easily be found using footpaths and OS maps, then you start crossing pathless bits to join routes up and so on.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

[QUOTE=phil40uk;566220]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Just go do it Phil, Join a club is perhaps the best advice anybody could give.

Welcome to the sport.

OK mate you know your own level and where you are comfortable at, I know when I first joined I thought I would be the slowest in the club, but it turn out that I was wrong. I loved the recce runs when I first got into Fell running, nice easy pace with guys who know the score. It was from there I got into racing on the hill.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

It'll vary from club to club. But some clubs will cater for beginners (assuming a rudimentary fitness), one of my club runs has a couple of septuagenarians who come along, and they're not always the slowest either. They're pretty chilled out club runs, and have far more to do with being on a hill with some friends rather than any of that training nonsense.

Some bigger clubs will split into groups of varying ability, some just treat it as a social jog good for a blether. I'd drop a few emails to your local clubs and see what they say. They might be lunatics of course. It's a risk. I have heard some train seriously, but I've always avoided them.

They may well even be able to put you in touch with folk in the same situation. Worth a punt if you ask me.

Any local groups on facebook etc?
    pies