Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub 3 hour Marathon.

Sub 3 hour Marathon.

OK I wasn’t sure where to post this so I stuck it in here for time being.

I am looking next year to have a crack at a sub 3 hour marathon, yes a road one, shock horror, I am not getting any younger and despite it all somethings just have to be done.

I am looking at targeting Manchester and or the Edinburgh, Prior to starting my BG training I did a half in 2012 in 1:23, previous to that I ran my one and only Marathon the London in 3:20 hours in 2010. I am keen to keep as much Hills in as I can because I like them, but also understand that I need a degree of pure speed to crack the 3 hour barrier. I think off the back of my BG I have a good endurance base as an starting point.

Any advice most welcome.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

well Edinburgh is a good route and close to you by looks of it. Flat as a pancake route. Your endurance will see u in good stead and if u can run 1:23 half, pace shouldn't be an issue for you... If I were you I certainly wouldn't get bogged down in training plans and all that malarkey, just do plenty 13-18 milers in the few month preceding the race, throw in couple 20-24 milers along the way, a couple of 10k races even parkruns to sharpen u up and you'll be right, go into the race fresh and confident and cruise round, job done

Long run on a Sunday - 16-20, semi long run mid week - 10-12. Plus plenty of tempo runs, up to 20 miles to get your body used to the pace. And lots of mileage between all that.

Super Moderator
    Some useful advice here
    Poacher turned game-keeper

rt20x30-AMAO0823.jpg
    Unlike you Tahr, I had never done a marathon until recently when I decided to do one before I am too old for it. The Athens Classic Marathon was my choice and I was not disappointed. The organisation was great and I managed a sub-four hour time, details.
    Last edited by ydt; 02-12-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Manchester is a flat course im thinking of doing this next year also, you sound like you have a good base for a sub 3 marra, if you already doing 1:23 for a half im guessing you will be pretty safe. Im around the 1:27 for a half and would be hoping for around 3.15 for a Full.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    OK I wasn’t sure where to post this so I stuck it in here for time being.

I am looking next year to have a crack at a sub 3 hour marathon, yes a road one, shock horror, I am not getting any younger and despite it all somethings just have to be done.

I am looking at targeting Manchester and or the Edinburgh, Prior to starting my BG training I did a half in 2012 in 1:23, previous to that I ran my one and only Marathon the London in 3:20 hours in 2010. I am keen to keep as much Hills in as I can because I like them, but also understand that I need a degree of pure speed to crack the 3 hour barrier. I think off the back of my BG I have a good endurance base as an starting point.

Any advice most welcome.

ATB

Tahr
    Agree with the advice.
    Bin there, done that.
    Three core sessions needed.
    Pace is vital on these.

Long build to 20-23 - all about time on feet - pace less of an issue, in fact don't go close to marathon pace. You do not want to "learn" the wrong pace in your legs - just slower than marathon is bad.

Semi long midweek - as someone said build from 13 to say 17/18 at 10-15 sec faster than marathon pace (6.35-40 will do, which notice is slower than half marathon) - after that it feels so easy getting to 17 on marathon day.

Long interval session eg Kilometres, anaerobic threshold or anywhere around 4 mins on , 2.5 mins off - build from 5 up to say 9 reps (ie 5-6 miles total effort) in total of 9 - I used to do these round a block on the local estate, jog recovery half way round, then effort all way round ( say around 6-6.10 min pace). Running round a block has the advantage of not running into bad weather except in one of the four sides of the rectangle! good in winter weather. Jog recovery better than standing for injury reasons.

One other worthwhile run is a pace run of 6 miles at 6 min pace or just over.

That adds up to 50-55 miles per week - which is enough
    And I did sub 3s only on the above ie a couple of days off a week.

At that time, the only the other thing I occasionally did is short hills, but done as trying to maintain pace up and over a flyover bridge, rather than sprint to top.

In fact when I lost the junk mileage between the core sessions my marathon times improved. You have to let your body recover!!

LDWA are really good for the long run.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 02-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks AI, i read that and it chimed with the conclusion i'm reaching re training, i.e. too much junk, not enough funk (as a coach i know often says). I was on course for sub 3 at Berlin in 2008 when i tore a quad at mile 22 and walked the last 3.5 miles to record a 3:18. Was gutted as was in the shape of my life having just done a 1:23 half with more in the tank (pb was 1:26 up to that point). I'm in for Berlin next Sept and wanted to take a more surgical view of training, and 3/4 sessions is as much as i'll be able to do anyway given child no 2 is due in Feb!

LDWA events are lovely and it never occured to me to use them for the long run for a marathon.

Good luck Tahr, i'll also be pushing for that elusive sub 3 next year

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Thanks AI, i read that and it chimed with the conclusion i'm reaching re training, i.e. too much junk, not enough funk (as a coach i know often says). I was on course for sub 3 at Berlin in 2008 when i tore a quad at mile 22 and walked the last 3.5 miles to record a 3:18. Was gutted as was in the shape of my life having just done a 1:23 half with more in the tank (pb was 1:26 up to that point). I'm in for Berlin next Sept and wanted to take a more surgical view of training, and 3/4 sessions is as much as i'll be able to do anyway given child no 2 is due in Feb!

LDWA events are lovely and it never occured to me to use them for the long run for a marathon.

Good luck Tahr, i'll also be pushing for that elusive sub 3 next year
    best of luck with the training. tempo runs and quality miles not junk as you've said sound like the best way forward. remember to look after your body too...regular sports massage can help, obviously I'm biased but it really does help. As does strength & conditioning - weights in other words. stronger muscles will work more efficiently, fatigue later etc. I don't know where you are based to recommend a local sport massage therapist - you can always look on the Sports Massage Association website to find someone local to you

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    rt20x30-AMAO0823.jpg
    Unlike you Tahr, I had never done a marathon until recently when I decided to do one before I am too old for it. The Athens Classic Marathon was my choice and I was not disappointed. The organisation was great and I managed a sub-four hour time, details.
    Sitting having supper at home with Rob Woodall on Saturday night, said to Rob "What's Yiannins up to at the moment"? A quick google found your marathon picture and results. Surely not Yiannis on the road we said, doing a marathon? This can't be right replied Rob!
    We were very impressed with your time though, that's pretty quick said Rob, I agree - well done.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.