Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album of the year 2013

After much deliberation, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Push The Sky Away".

Streetlight Manifesto - The Hands that Thieve; Public Service Broadcasting - Inform, Educate, Entertain; Cloud Control - Dream Cave and AM are my favourites this year.

I require more listens of Pura Vida conspiracy, not grabbed me as much as Super Taranta did.

Oh, but then there's Rewind the Film which I've really been enjoying. And after a lot of listens (after being told to by a friend) the narrative of Frank Turner's Tape Deck Heart really starts to come through and it starts getting up there with Love, Ire and Song.

call me indecisive. I'll go for Streetlight Manifesto because: 1) Favourite band 2) first proper album since '07 3) brilliant live 4) they are now pretty much no more
    Last edited by ba-ba; 04-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Had it not been for Later.... a few weeks ago it would have been Chvrches with The Bones of What You Believe. But then up pops Justin Currie playing stuff off his album that came out in August, Lower Reaches.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I require more listens of Pura Vida conspiracy, not grabbed me as much as Super Taranta did.

Oh, but then there's Rewind the Film which I've really been enjoying.
    You must give Pura Vida conspiracy another listen. I think I still prefer Trans-continetal Hustle but it is a great album nonetheless.
    Conversely, I've been a lifelong Manics fan but have to admit to being more than a little underwhelmed by Rewind the Film. A few notable tracks but its generally too polished for my liking and I don't think most of the songs stand up live.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Good year this year I reckon. Pleasantly surprised by AM and Random Access Memories as proper big, popular albums that were both worth (at least some of) the hype. In fact, the Daft Punk record would've been totally amazing but for a few too many tracks full of needless electro noodling.

Really enjoyed the Nick Cave, Board's of Canada, **** Buttons and Mogwai records... probably Mogwai the most, but I think my favourite of the year would be Thundercat's Apocalypse.

Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Daft Punk record would've been totally amazing but for a few too many tracks full of needless electro noodling.
    Nowt wrong with needless noodling, I really liked Random Access Memories. Apparently they have a load of other stuff with Giorgio Moroder that is going to get released later. Haven't heard the new Boards Of Canada album, my last copy of theirs was onto a minidisc over 10 years ago! Been listening a lot to Melodies Echo Chamber. Humm I guess anything French really!

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus 7.
    Odd but ace.

http://warp.net/records/releases/one...r/r-plus-seven

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Nowt wrong with needless noodling, I really liked Random Access Memories. Apparently they have a load of other stuff with Giorgio Moroder that is going to get released later. Haven't heard the new Boards Of Canada album, my last copy of theirs was onto a minidisc over 10 years ago! Been listening a lot to Melodies Echo Chamber. Humm I guess anything French really!
    Yeah, the Melody's Echo Chamber album is brilliant. 2012 though, I think. I seem to remember quite a bit of chat on here a while ago about the merits of Toy and Tame Impala, but I reckon MEC's better than both of them.

I just thought Random Access Memories went a bit too long. Maybe part of the problem is the killer bits were so great they made the lower points kind of spoil the overall effect, for me anyway.
    Geoff Clarke

I'm torn between either Disclosure's album, Settle, or Rudimental's, also debut album, Home.