Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Frostbite 30

Is there a GPS plot of the route (although I see it changes each year). I just wanted to get an idea about elevation, climbs and terrain. The pics I've seen show sections of road and hard track so it looks like good trail shoes as opposed to fell shoes?

I have one from 2013 (here), but it changed significantly last year (when I didn't run it).

From what I know of the terrain though, I'd say definitely trail shoes.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

https://www.strava.com/activities/226832035

Last years route,I always run in Addidas Kanadia's 7's as mostly hard pack bridleways

Ouch! I've mountain biked up to Middlesmoor and the tops a few times, the last early this year in snow and it can get pretty bleak. Some tough climbs too but thankfully lots of great cake shops In Pateley for post race indulgence :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors_Junkie View Post
    Ouch! I've mountain biked up to Middlesmoor and the tops a few times, the last early this year in snow and it can get pretty bleak. Some tough climbs too but thankfully lots of great cake shops In Pateley for post race indulgence :-)
    Plenty of cakes, as well as sandwiches and soups, provided at the race venue itself if it's anything like last two years.

The 2015 route has now been released - http://www.never-rest.com/the-route.php - changes look to be an additional out and back section into the Coldstones Cut in the first 11 miles with the second 23 mile leg being nearly the reverse of last year except that it follows the Nidderdale way much more closely on the upward section to Scar House Reservoir via Lofthouse, with the return route being the long stretch down In Moor Lane through Middlesmoor, past How Stean Gorge, returning back to Ramsgill/Bouthwaite at the top of Gouthwaite reservoir, then finally ending once again in Pately Bridge.

All in all really looking forward to this being my first Ultra, weather is currently looking wet and windy for Sunday though, still time for changes in the forecast though.

Master
    Having finally stopped dithering and decided to enter, I find that it's full
    Next year maybe...

Pretty mucky out there today, those who wore fell shoes probably made the right choice (I didn't). There were 160 starters and as we were leaving I heard that there were at least 14 DNFs, probably because of conditions - the mud was horrific. A couple of deep river crossings to contend, fortunately the organiser had ropes in place and it was very well marshalled. Results:

Mens: Joint 1st Ben Hamilton/Chris Singleton 5.02.58, 3rd Ian Symington 5.07.14

Ladies: 1st Sally Fawcett (DPFR/Team Montane) 5.36.49, 2nd Carol Morgan (Nidd Valley) 6.06.06, 3rd Helen Price (Harrogate Harriers) 6.12.58.

Hats off to Rob Jarman for another really excellent event, the route for this year's race was certainly a challenge and it was definitely a tougher proposition than last year. I made it 34.27 miles and around 3,800ft of climb.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

I agree that it was much harder than last year. I was 45 minutes slower this year! I also agree that feel shoes would probably have been better than trail shoes on balance. I wore Inov8 race ultra and wished I'd worn mudclaw.

the winning time is very impressive in the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Pretty mucky out there today, those who wore fell shoes probably made the right choice (I didn't). There were 160 starters and as we were leaving I heard that there were at least 14 DNFs, probably because of conditions - the mud was horrific. A couple of deep river crossings to contend, fortunately the organiser had ropes in place and it was very well marshalled. Results:

Mens: Joint 1st Ben Hamilton/Chris Singleton 5.02.58, 3rd Ian Symington 5.07.14

Ladies: 1st Sally Fawcett (DPFR/Team Montane) 5.36.49, 2nd Carol Morgan (Nidd Valley) 6.06.06, 3rd Helen Price (Harrogate Harriers) 6.12.58.

Hats off to Rob Jarman for another really excellent event, the route for this year's race was certainly a challenge and it was definitely a tougher proposition than last year. I made it 34.27 miles and around 3,800ft of climb.

Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners