Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Mrs Stagger and I have had a debate?

She said ask others, so here we are
    Having had xmas dinner with the staggers last year I can only imagine being a fly on the wall for that 'debate'!

I am doing 108 hours work over xmas week. I hope you all have as miserable a time as I will.. ha.

I love xmas for amny of the reasons stated above - BUT - I just hate the way it's expanded over the years into a retail marketing fest of massive proportions starting back in October and going on into January with the sodding sales (......humbug!)
    ......yes, I know I'm a bit muddy

I don't do xmas. Haven't bothered for years. I don't hate it, I'm just not interested in it. I don't have kids so that helps.
    I do like the quiet time those few days offer when out running or on the bike.

It's more about the Solstice for me!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    I don't do xmas. Haven't bothered for years. I don't hate it, I'm just not interested in it. I don't have kids so that helps.
    I do like the quiet time those few days offer when out running or on the bike.

It's more about the Solstice for me!
    Exactly! - Perfectly good and far more meaningful Pagan festival before it was hi-jacked!

I like the Christmas lights on the houses in the hills around the Calder Valley when I am out running at night it helps reduce the boredom of winter road running.
    No country for old men.

I was pretty over it, but it's got a new lease of life now I've got a kid.
    "That was the night everything changed"

I enjoy eating lots of food, and the smell of the Turkey cooking on Christmas morning is for me the key-factor - theres no christmas without that smell.

I rather don't enjoy the strain on ones wallet though. Not due to buying presents, as they can only be purchased according to what you have to spare, but for little bits an pieces to actually make it feel like christmas (tree and decs, biscuits and nice nibbles and a bottle or two of something warming.) Aside from that, its a lovely time of year.
    I wont be (sh) long, dear.

Not a huge fan to be honest. Never was. Not since my early teens. (0f course there is a deep psychological reason but I won't bore you all with that!!)

I think it depends how close you are to (whether you like) your family. I'm not and nor is my husband. My own kids have grown up, (when they were young is when x-mas was ok) and haven't yet produced grandkids for me.

This year myself, the hubby and my grown up daughters are heading to the Austrian Alps for x-mas. That's my sort of x-mas really. Something fun to do, a bit of a christmassy feel to things (especially the snow!)but not stuffing my face with food needlessly, not spending lots on x-mas pressies that no one really wants (unless you ask them what they want and then what's the point!) and not being pounded with x-mas every which way you turn.

It's what you make of it. I think it's possible to enjoy Christmas without going overboard on all the commercial bollocks.

And it's the one time of year where excessive whisky consumption is tolerated, if not expected.
    Geoff Clarke

You see Mr Stagger, I'm not the only one who isn't a big fan of Xmas. I absolutely loved it when the kids were little as I got a lot of pleasure from buying the boys lots of surprises and hunting out the 'must have' toy of the year. I once spent 2 weeks trailing round looking for La La from the Teletubbies, I found one eventually of course. Our boys are 18 and 16 now so no more Teletubbies, they want money so it's not quite the same. I enjoy the few days around Xmas but really don't like seeing decorations and mince pies in the shops in early October. Longdogs, you really must come for Christmas dinner, promise we won't debate it then.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners