Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Not a huge fan to be honest. Never was. Not since my early teens. (0f course there is a deep psychological reason but I won't bore you all with that!!)

I think it depends how close you are to (whether you like) your family. I'm not and nor is my husband. My own kids have grown up, (when they were young is when x-mas was ok) and haven't yet produced grandkids for me.

This year myself, the hubby and my grown up daughters are heading to the Austrian Alps for x-mas. That's my sort of x-mas really. Something fun to do, a bit of a christmassy feel to things (especially the snow!)but not stuffing my face with food needlessly, not spending lots on x-mas pressies that no one really wants (unless you ask them what they want and then what's the point!) and not being pounded with x-mas every which way you turn.
    I know what you mean about the food and drink Flopsy, I hate all that too.

My Mum died just before Chrsitmas 25 years ago and it's never really been the same since but I try my best to make it a happy time for the boys.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

I like Christmas despite not having kids because I like to stuff myself (nothing new there then). In fact I've just spent £80 at John Lewis on one of those minimalist trees with Led lights - it looks the biz & now I'm of to check out the Christmas market in Ashton, think 1 of the stalls is offering Ostrich burgers, not that I would eat Ostrich mind.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

I think those people who don't like Christmas are disproportionately represented on this thread.

I think I'm like a lot of people in that I quite like Christmas, but would not ordinarily be opinionated enough to post about it.

I've got a love/hate relationship with it and its probably best that I leave it there!!!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I'm ambivalent too, the worst thing is being told "now is the time to enjoy yourself and this is how you must do it". It is handy tho' to be forced/encouraged to actually contact those you've been meaning to and not got round to it.
    PS Mrs Stagger should also mention that she is partial to a (big) bit of Christmas cake

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    I like Christmas despite not having kids because I like to stuff myself (nothing new there then). In fact I've just spent £80 at John Lewis on one of those minimalist trees with Led lights - it looks the biz & now I'm of to check out the Christmas market in Ashton, think 1 of the stalls is offering Ostrich burgers, not that I would eat Ostrich mind.
    Went to Liverpool Christmas market last week, one of the stalls was selling crocodile burgers

I don't much like Christmas, I like turkey and have a really bad relationship with bread sauce (including making breadsauce and cranberry sauce sandwiches !), but, I won't be having either this year as my mother in law won't cook, says its too stressful, and even more stressful apparently to have me do it! So I have to drive up the motorway on Christmas eve, then drive back Boxing day, husband is back to work on 27th, for some Iceland type buffet, b******y Dr. Who and the constant rendition of well "Christmas is for children", so once again rubbing it in that we don't have any............... so why on earth should I enjoy it as apparently it's not for me anyway. bah humbug.

Christmas tree used to go up the day after my birthday when I was a kid... so that's the 21st December! nowadays everyone goes for it far to early and because of this for me its lost its magic. Having said that this year my 3year old daughter is going to make it special, Plus for me time off work means I can run more and treat myself with some new gear (running) so it aint all bad! :-) ho ho ho

When we got married a few weeks ago an old friend of the missus got us a lovely tub of plants and ferns which we put outside the front door to add some colour. While we were at Aldi this afternoon some bastard nicked it so if anyone in the Lancaster & Morecambe area gets this as a present, merry f**king christmas from us

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    I'm ambivalent too, the worst thing is being told "now is the time to enjoy yourself and this is how you must do it". It is handy tho' to be forced/encouraged to actually contact those you've been meaning to and not got round to it.
    PS Mrs Stagger should also mention that she is partial to a (big) bit of Christmas cake
    Now that is one thing I look forward to but I've usually eaten it well before December.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners