Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vans for runners

Vans for runners

In my continued pursuit of happiness through the acquisition of possessions. I've decided to reignite my desire for a van.

I'm not thinking of a full camper. But I reckon I'd line it, insulate, and ventilate it. Maybe even get a window or two fitted. I've looked at campers quite a bit, and they just don't sit right for what I want. The garage is also full, so those removable kitchens etc are also off the cards

Prefer to keep the weight down and have a functioning van that can be used day to day. That's everything for bike carrying, to garden waste. Maybe just having a false floor, which in some cases could extend the load length enough with folding seats for me to sleep in the back in full car park scum mode. I'm really not that bothered about comfort and mod cons.

Anyone been down this or a similar route, any advice? Any what van tips?

£5k strikes me as being enough to get a mechanically sound van that's up to the job. With any work costs on top of that. Anyway, back to my hangover.
    pies

Sounds like an instructors van, there's always a few for sale on the instructors FB site, I'll have a look.

my neighbour also has a proper small camper for sale.

If you can be quite minimal, a vauxhall combo fits the bill. I used one for pretty much tha for a feew years, pre babies. Without a bulkhead, i could slEep in the back along with a bike or two. I previously had a fist scudo for the same job, but it was too high and thirsty for use as an only vehicle. I think i paid £4300 for a just under 3 year old ex postie one with the nice and aconomical 1.3 cdti engine.

I in years gone by had a works Vauxhall Combi Van like Paul, I used it on overnight stays with a camp stove. The one I had was fitted with a extra set of fold down seats in the back which was handy if you needed to use it more like a car. It was were versitile vehicle and not too bad on fuel. Just make sure you get one with a sliding side door it is much easier to use when sleeping in.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I also had an ex Royal Mail combo which I ran as everyday transport and a kind of mini camper van. Just insulated and carpeted the back (bought a ply lining kit, stuck insulation behind the ply, stuck carpet to the ply).
    OK so it didn't have the 'features' of a proper camper van (cooker, cupboards, etc), I thought of it more as a kind of ultimate portable tent which didn't need pitching and was usable all year round. Mine had no windows at all in the back, which is handy for a bit of 'stealth' camping on quieter backstreets of say Keswick or Llanberis. Although in hindsight I can also see that side doors and maybe one or two (removable?) back seats would have made it more versatile.
    Always thought this DIY mini-camper looked particularly good though ;-)
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

You've got me reminiscing about my combo camping... who needs a cooker when you can nip to the chinese

090802_084135P.jpg070806_191048.jpg080926_171535.jpg

Yeh, that's the ticket. Pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Hmm.....
    pies

I think it's worth reading up about the pro's and con's of the various engines.
    My Combo was the 1.7 Diesel, fuel economy was OK (usually high 40s MPG) but tax was getting a bit pricey, £200 plus.
    The newer combos got a 1.3 Turbo Diesel (Fiat engine I think?) which I think was "greener" so cheaper tax. But I keep reading that more modern diesel engines can suffer if they don't do high mileage, they have things like diesel particulate filters that can get clogged and are expensive to fix. I've read this in the context of cars, but assume it would apply to vans too.
    So petrols might be worth a look, as petrol is cheaper than diesel it can often cancel out the difference in MPG.

Hmm. Individual journeys will be ok. Total annual mileage, not sure.

After years of berlingo driving (works vehicle) ive just bought myself one of the new ones, three seats up front, plenty of room in the back for two bikes and gear, you can put the front seats flat and comfortably sleep strectched out, 1.6HDI does 42.7mpg even around town. Drives like a car, cant rate it high enough to be honest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by murph; 09-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Good going down !!