Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vans for runners

With these small vans it's worth looking carefully at the length of the loading bay. I went for the Combo because it was a precious few cm longer than some of the others (eg the older berlingos). This made all the difference, as it meant there was enough room for me to lie full length in the back without folding down the front seats. I'm a relative shortar$e though, which helps! Combos (and I assume most others) have a metal bulkhead behind the front seats, at first sight it looks like an integral part of the van, but you can quickly unbolt and remove it, this usually gains you extra space.
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

Just sold my small motorhome and bought a tent, and am thinking of replacing the car with a van that would be suitable for everyday use as well as camping trips etc.
    ideally big enough to take, in order of importance:
    - camping gear (and big enough for an overnight kip in the van)
    - a bike
    - a dog
    - the wife
    Anyone else do this? Thinking of a VW Transporter but pricey. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Just sold my small motorhome and bought a tent, and am thinking of replacing the car with a van that would be suitable for everyday use as well as camping trips etc.
    ideally big enough to take, in order of importance:
    - camping gear (and big enough for an overnight kip in the van)
    - a bike
    - a dog
    - the wife
    Anyone else do this? Thinking of a VW Transporter but pricey. Any other suggestions?
    Not sure you've got the order of importance right? Surely it's the bike then the camping kit - you could always sleep in the van?

HTH.

Nissan NV200 or any of the LWB Kangoos/Berlingos/Connects
    pies

We are looking at a Bongo or slightly bigger version the Serena(?). I fancied Merc Vito or Renault Traffic/Vauxhall/Nissan, but not sure of fuel economy etc. Bongo's can be very versatial & seater, and seats remove. removable kitchen/sink units are available etc.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I've had a look at the NV 200 following Shaun's suggestion and it's probably my favourite of the bunch, and the Nissan website quotes 55 mpg for the diesel which will do for me.

Just a bit worried about the engine because I had a 1.5 diesel Qashqai a couple of years ago and although it was a nice car it was a bit gutless. I'll try to get a test drive at the weekend. Cheers.

what about a old land rover with tent on top they look fantastic but pricy on fuel

I keep thinking a bit about Landrovers. They do the tent thing, but you can get a sleeping compartment that you can reverse onto as well. Fuel consumption and comfort is probably the issue. Though they defo win on character!! Theres three nice ones at Kirkby Lonsdale Service Station. Look like ex-military £6000 each!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    I've had a look at the NV 200 following Shaun's suggestion and it's probably my favourite of the bunch, and the Nissan website quotes 55 mpg for the diesel which will do for me.

Just a bit worried about the engine because I had a 1.5 diesel Qashqai a couple of years ago and although it was a nice car it was a bit gutless. I'll try to get a test drive at the weekend. Cheers.
    I believe it's the ubiquitous Renault unit under the bonnet.

The real advantages for me with the NV200 are load bay shape, it's reasonably high in the back. It's long enough to wheel bikes straight in the back. And sleep a 6 footer. It's also a narrow van, which has some real benefits on twisty tight roads which seem so common in the Lakes and Scottish back roads.

I've read reports claiming the MPG is very optimistic. But then, I know people with the same car as me but get 10-15mpg less than I do. How heavy is your foot?

Just about big enough to convert too, http://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk/liv...orhomes156.asp

Then again, I have seen a Nemo converted.

Have you considered a VW Caddy Maxi?
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I keep thinking a bit about Landrovers. They do the tent thing, but you can get a sleeping compartment that you can reverse onto as well. Fuel consumption and comfort is probably the issue. Though they defo win on character!! Theres three nice ones at Kirkby Lonsdale Service Station. Look like ex-military £6000 each!
    Am selling my Landy to get a day van! I'll have it at the Steam Bunny Bluff race or you can see it here:- http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...ion/1073362612