Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Recce

Re: Borrowdale Recce

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Did you misread the question HD?

15/17 degrees is the dead reckon scafell pike to the scree gully

66/67 is the bearing on the fast route off gable.

15 degrees of gable would send you plummeting down Gable crag, which is E grade rocklimbing!!!

DOZY S*D I am, I ve just realised he was talking about the temperature!
    Ha HA! you're obsessed with compasses, recces and lines you lot! You should have all dropped down to wasdale head for the lingmell dash - a fab little race in aide of the mountain rescue! although my legs are butchered today!
    Last edited by Daleside; 22-07-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Borrowdale Recce

Hi Folks,

I loved the reccy on Saturday and it was great to see/meet you all, what a nice bunch of people to spend a day in the mountains with. Looking forward to the race and the next reccy!

Stu
    Grit Britain Team

The answer is 66/67 degrees: you find a small but evident trod, that connects up grass strips. Follow that bearing until you turn sharp left onto a level traverse trod that joins the path below the scramble above windy gap. And it is probably around 4 mins quicker than the thrutch down the rocks.
    Did this in reverse last night of course the cloud came down on the top of Green Gable on the way (could see clear summits for miles on the way up from Honister)

Got on the trod that comes in under the last rocky bit before Windy gap and followed it in an upward traverse crossing above two scree runs, the path was hard to make out here but the clouds tined out for a second and I could see a large cairn ahead that I knew must be on the main path from Gable summit to Styhead so went up more direct.

Took a bearing 66 degrees on the summit and I knew it would easily lead down to the trod but as the cloud was thick I would have trouble finding the most runnable line so as I had seen the cairn on the Styhead path and a grassy line leading to it I went down the Styhead path.

At a large cairn on the path i headed off towords Windy gap but after a 20m turned back as I was on steep rocky ground and went back to the path to descent some more. Where the Styhead path goes around a large boulder (you can run round boulder on the left or scramble down on the right) I headed off towards Windy gap again just traversing with the odd small drop down, very runable terrain until I was stopped by a steep rocky section, at this point I started to go back as I though I'd gone wrong then realised it was the last rock bit before Windy gap!

I had got to Windy gap in 5:30 from Great Gable summit just jogging

This is the line here

Bill

The foothills of the Lake District (English)

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Is your route over the stile at Grey Knotts then bearing left on a faint path that leads to a ridge by the stream just before Honister slate mine car park?

Any ideas on the better line

Bill
    Top evening yesterday so had a wander up Grey Knotts last night for a wee mooch around. The route I've been taking is the one AlwaysInjured has described and I couldn't describe it any better. Good ground and runable all the way. It does involve a bit running on a camber, but If you get it right leads you nicely into the final grassy descent to the mine buildings. I did look at another line which branches right, where this route heads left. It passes a couple of small cairns before joining the main Grey Knotts path. This is followed for a short way before cuttin left down a grassy spur avoiding the middle section of the path and crosses it again to pick up the final part of the descent. Very direct, certainly shorter not sure if it's any quicker (ankle was grumbling after previous days recce, so walked it).

Oh yes, sorry AI about the bearing/temperature jape. I trust nobody was planning on taking a 15 deg bearing of GG. Unless your into base jumping or can down climb E2. Havn't tried the 1st (don't intend to) and took a whipper trying the 2nd don't fancy that again either)

The foothills of the Lake District (English)

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    I think you have to explain the temp thing to emmi on the other borrowdale thread too- you bad sausage dog you!

oop's will do, don't think wasdale MRT would be too chuffed with me sending folk over the edge like lemmings.

Master and MR

THEY WERE MY LIQUORICE ALLSORTS

Moo blackmailed me into handing them over in return for the keys to the car!
    they were ace
    ive never tried them before, much better than jelly babies , moo was handing them out to everyone
    shouting out something like , daz take what you want

well I lost my chuffin paclite that day....none of you guys ran off with it did you?! Think I left it on bank when we went in river....

Balderdash

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    well I lost my chuffin paclite that day....none of you guys ran off with it did you?! Think I left it on bank when we went in river....

Balderdash
    ive pmd you

Thanks daz h.... youre good at giving me things....

Still no sign of the paclite tho...

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Thanks daz h.... youre good at giving me things....

Still no sign of the paclite tho...

oooh eck
    moo i wonder if it floated off down the stream
    you stripped off that fast i cant remember