Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Hell Of The Worth'

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

'Hell Of The Worth'

I found this ride whilst looking for details of one of the climbs that it incorporates (the link cropped up in the search)

It looks a heck of a ride round

50 miles/7,900 feet of ascent!!!!

http://thehelloftheworth.blogspot.co.uk/

I've ran Trooper Lane (during the Stainland Lions 'Bluebell Trail 10' back in May)
    It's claimed it ascends 560 feet in less than 1/2 mile
    (for comparison, Blackpool Tower is only 510 feet high)
    It's a tough enough climb on two-legs, must be very hard on two-wheels

Ridden Lee Lane (Shibden Wall)a couple of times. Not an easy climb at all, with huge gaps between the cobbles & a fearsome corner on it
    One attempt at it was on my old cross-bike (Paul Milnes 653) & 38 x 28 was a struggle, with trying to maintain traction too
    I was on (road) tubs at that time too,on sparesr of wheels, it would have been a long walk home, as I remember not having a spare one at the time!!!!

Have a look at the climbs, I may try & persuade a couple of buddies to try it next spring..........
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Looks like fun! As I only have a MTB it also doesn't look like fun..!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Mick,

You'll have the appropriate (standard) gearing for the hills............

Just fit slicks, & perhaps a closer-ratio cassette??

Aye, my gears are OK it's the weight I was thinking of lugging around! Slicks make a big difference, I rode a girls bike to town one day and couldn't believe how fast it was with her tyres!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Drag is the biggest factor, even allowing for modern compounds used for some tyres (Schwalbe/Continental, for example)

The site says this about gearing;
    The route is quite demanding, a road bike with a low low gear is envisaged.
    The "reference" machine is a road bike is a 34x26, with 23mm tyres.
    Cyclocross bikes are tolerated.
    If you can ride the climbs on a 39x26 then you are a true hero.

I've ridden HolmeMoss, Snake Pass & The Strines on a 42x19 quite a few years ago, & it was not easy!!!! (even when I was a lot younger!!!)

1. My Ribble 'Winter'/'Audax' bike has 11-25 cassette & 50/34 chainset, so that should be okay, I've not needed lower than the '19' yet, but only gone over HolmeMoss on it, not anything steeper. Yet

2. My Ridley has 53/39 & 12-26(??) cassette, but I doubt I'm a hero!?!? (but partially compensated by its being lighter??)

Undoubtedly though, the Ribbles SPD pedals (double-sided, + MTB/cyclo-cross shoes) would be easier if I had to stop on any of the hills, for a restart
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 07-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    I found this ride whilst looking for details of one of the climbs that it incorporates (the link cropped up in the search)

It looks a heck of a ride round

50 miles/7,900 feet of ascent!!!!

http://thehelloftheworth.blogspot.co.uk/

I've ran Trooper Lane (during the Stainland Lions 'Bluebell Trail 10' back in May)
    It's claimed it ascends 560 feet in less than 1/2 mile
    (for comparison, Blackpool Tower is only 510 feet high)
    It's a tough enough climb on two-legs, must be very hard on two-wheels

Ridden Lee Lane (Shibden Wall)a couple of times. Not an easy climb at all, with huge gaps between the cobbles & a fearsome corner on it
    One attempt at it was on my old cross-bike (Paul Milnes 653) & 38 x 28 was a struggle, with trying to maintain traction too
    I was on (road) tubs at that time too,on sparesr of wheels, it would have been a long walk home, as I remember not having a spare one at the time!!!!

Have a look at the climbs, I may try & persuade a couple of buddies to try it next spring..........

Richard,
    Looks a good 'un.
    Similarly, check out Rondee van Oost, Lancashire, on the www.crossjunkie.blogspot.com website. An attempt to replicate the Tour of Flanders in East Lancs & Calderdale.

Ian Roberts, Bowland FR.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Just as an aside...not that I want to derail the thread!...I'm going to see the Paris-Roubaix and possibly The Tour of Flanders (...if its the w/e before). Anyone know what points on the course are best to see them from. Hoping to maybe get to see a couple/three points. I was thinking I'd try and follow one of the organised tour buses!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I went and they were both great! Kwaremont is awesome to go to, basically a massive cyclists beerfest!!

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Just as an aside...not that I want to derail the thread!...I'm going to see the Paris-Roubaix and possibly The Tour of Flanders
    We (the then g/f - now wife) & I went to see the 'Paris-Roubaix' in the early 90's, possibly the '93 or '94 race
    We travelled over with Graham Baxter Sporting Tours, from Poole-in-Wharfedale, as they were at the time

We saw the race, at about 5 or 6, different points, including Arenburg Forest!!!

I think I'd like to do an organised tour and maybe do the sportif too! It was a great day out, but missed out on some great barbeque and beer stops!! Trying to get back to Roubaix following the race up the motorway was pretty exciting too! Definitely a must do!