Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilkley Moor Fell Race

Ilkley Moor

hi

i,ve been running the route and think i have it sussed apart from the last descent. is badger stone next to the memorial bench. i have the map from ilkley harriers but would just like to check. while i'm here can anyone recommend a good head torch. cheers rick

Quote Originally Posted by in it for the long haul View Post
    hi

i,ve been running the route and think i have it sussed apart from the last descent. is badger stone next to the memorial bench. i have the map from ilkley harriers but would just like to check. while i'm here can anyone recommend a good head torch. cheers rick
    Yep, there is a memorial bench (...to a chap called John R. Broadley I recall) next to Badger stone. Best way to know if you're there is to go slightly (10yds) SE of the stone and look back at it. It really does look like a badger!

Headtorch...depends how much you want to spend. For £120+'ish I'd have a look on Hope technolgy web site. Some of our club (Wharefdale) have got these http://www.hopegb.com/voir_vishid_image_2.html and they're almost too bright ...the torches that is (...blinds us petzl tikka+ carriers and if we're ever in front all you can see is you're own shadow )

Have fun on the moor iiftlh and say hello to thimble stones fer'us!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

yep i'm on the right track only took 3 attempts need to book myself on the navigation course but i hear its all booked up(and i've just done the dales way shame on me). will check that web site out cheers.

yep i'm on the right track only took 3 attempts need to book myself on the navigation course but i hear its all booked up(and i've just done the dales way shame on me). will check that web site out cheers.
    without wishing to sound like our (Wharfedale) club secretary, but I see you live in Silsden...as do quite a few of our lot (including afore-mentioned sec!). If you're not already in a club how about thinking of Wharfedale...?

http://www.wharfedaleharriers.org.uk/

In any eventuality (join us or not!), do come along on a Weds eve to one of our runs. We're off road this week (from Stirton/Tarn-House) going up Sharpaw/Roughaw way and Ilkley moor's a frequent sojourn on a w/end for many of us...

if he lives in silsden theres no way hirdy hasn't already been 'at im' anyway!!

hi

Believe me, you wont have a problem finding your way on the day. Most of its on single tracks and unless you're towards the front (or off-track in the heather), you'l be cueing (either walking or climbing). Cueiing - just like the january sales in Leeds! I find - go at it hard to start with and get into a quick pace cue and try and hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigO View Post
    if he lives in silsden theres no way hirdy hasn't already been 'at im' anyway!!
    Yep, how very true!

And apparently there's a certain Leeds (did I say P&B ? ) based runner with an "extra" incentive to join...

Re: ilkley moor

sounds good as soon as i get a good head torch i'll come along, i use to live in burley in wharfedale (18 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Yep, how very true!

And apparently there's a certain Leeds (did I say P&B ? ) based runner with an "extra" incentive to join...

So does this mean that Stick isnt 'hirdy' (to quote BigO)

(as I had been told!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    So does this mean that Stick isnt 'hirdy' (to quote BigO)

(as I had been told!!!!)
    No, I'm NOT..!!!