Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather is news

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    The Severn in Worcestershire was bad as I passed earlier but it is usually slow to respond so the worst is most likely yet to come. Tenbury is already under water and homes being evacuated.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    My earlier post has disappeared after I corrected a typo. Anyway the gist was that I've just spent a weekend in Cardiff and although the wind was not as bad as predicted the rain was incessant. The Taff was at an unprecedented high when I left. The flooding in the Usk and Wye valleys I passed on the way home was the worst I can remember.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I went for a walk this afternoon, wearing Walshes so that I wouldn't slide around in the mud. Flippers might have been more appropriate, but at least the streams running down the footpaths gave the Walshes a good wash. They were cleaner when I got back home than when I had left!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Thoughts go out to the people who suffered with this crap weather.

Local Authority's falling over themselves in a race to declare a Climate Change Emergency.

What a load of bollocks.

Instead of wasting money on meetings and empire building they should try a few simple measures like dredging rivers, keeping gulleys and drains clear, stop tarmacing over gardens, and stop building on flood plains, all of which would make a considerable difference.

Declaring a CCE aint gonna stop it raining!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Monmouth the worst in the 23 years we've lived there. But it's been worse in history.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Local Authority's falling over themselves in a race to declare a Climate Change Emergency.

What a load of bollocks.

Instead of wasting money on meetings and empire building they should try a few simple measures like dredging rivers, keeping gulleys and drains clear, stop tarmacing over gardens, and stop building on flood plains, all of which would make a considerable difference.

Declaring a CCE aint gonna stop it raining!
    +1 for all of that evolution can`t be stopped
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Monmouth the worst in the 23 years we've lived there. But it's been worse in history.
    Monmouth specifically mentioned on BBC Radio 4 news this morning. Highest level on the Wye ever recorded there.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

... like dredging rivers...
    Er, dredging rivers doesn't prevent flooding, it just gets the water to the flooded areas quicker. Better is to slow the flow down, further upstream. In the hills.

You're taking all the fun out of it. Declaring a climate change emergency for a local councillor must be about as good as shouting "stop the presses" is for a journalist, or "let nobody leave the country" is for a detective.