Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Weather is news

Kids and young at heart adults building dams is the key.
    But Llani is also correct by cleaning the rivers and allowing water to pass through quicker.

I had a mate who used to keep a section of the river Calder clear. Chain saw, land rover and trailer were his tools. When Yorkshire water started cost cutting he was on of the first to go.

The Calder has flooded more in the last 20years than the 50 before that.

Climate change my arse. Cost cutting by water authoritys for shareholders dividends and building for profit in inappropriate locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Kids and young at heart adults building dams is the key.
    But Llani is also correct by cleaning the rivers and allowing water to pass through quicker.

I had a mate who used to keep a section of the river Calder clear. Chain saw, land rover and trailer were his tools. When Yorkshire water started cost cutting he was on of the first to go.

The Calder has flooded more in the last 20years than the 50 before that.

Climate change my arse. Cost cutting by water authoritys for shareholders dividends and building for profit in inappropriate locations.
    Sounds like the fella who used to lamp up in the factory where I worked, got rid of him because ‘all he does is walks about with his trolley full of fluoro tubes’ surprisingly where they got rid of him, all the lights started to go out, took on someone else who didn’t know where any of the lights were fed from

Yep dredging rivers increases the capacity and flow thus helping to prevent backing up and flooding
    Last edited by JohnK; 18-02-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

[QUOTE=GeoffB;657884]Er, dredging rivers doesn't prevent flooding,

Er, I think you'll find it does. It gives the water a freer run to the sea.

If your gutters are blocked with leaves the water tends to overflow and go somewhere it is not wanted,possibly a wall cavity. Keep your gutters clear of leaves and the water runs freely to where it is supposed to go.

Simple.

However, I do agree that slowing it down upstream with various methods will help.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Er, I think you'll find it does. It gives the water a freer run to the sea.

If your gutters are blocked with leaves the water tends to overflow and go somewhere it is not wanted,possibly a wall cavity. Keep your gutters clear of leaves and the water runs freely to where it is supposed to go.

Simple.

However, I do agree that slowing it down upstream with various methods will help.
    It makes intuitive sense to me that clearing out our gutters (rivers) should make it all flow better. But, I wasn't sure if this is actually the case, so I did a bit of web dredging.

It seems there is evidence to suggest dredging doesn't work: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ameron-farmers
    But the Guardian and George Monbiot are good at giving one side of the argument.

And some to say it works in certain places if done well: http://newground.co.uk/blog/how-can-...k-of-flooding/
    But not in the US if poorly devised: https://www.govtech.com/em/preparedn...-Problems.html

I'm not an expert in this. Make your own mind up after reading a bit.
    No longer "resting"