Thread: I hate Expedia

I hate Expedia

Wife and daughter were due to flight to Japan on 2.7, child got covid so they couldn't go. I called Expedia on 1.7, the day before departure, just to inform them they were not going to turn up, I was neither asking nor expecting any refund. I just thought it was nice for them to be informed.

Then and there Expedia guy at the phone told me the airline were issuing me a travel credit of (almost) the full fare, all done, nothing left for me to do. I could later claim the travel credit via phone, not possible online. Guy also said "you will receive an email, confirming your cancelation and your credit, within 24hr". Such email never arrived and I happily forgot about it.

Now we want to book the next travel. I just called Expedia and they tell me the "canceled" flight actually never got canceled, they will cancel it now... The departure was in the past, but the return still lies ahead. I suppose consequence of this (if it does at all happen) is that, at best, they will refund only the return.

Why the hell did the operator say to me "I have canceled your flight, now you got a travel credit", and 3weeks later his colleague says "your flight never got canceled"....

And I just wasted hours (yes, hours, not exaggerating) at the phone.

Very angry.

I've stopped using Expedia this year. Seems to be full of issues, problems paying, lack of communication.

I would recommend booking.com

I know some people always deal directly with the hotel/airline, exactly because of this.
    Use the travel portal only to gather info etc.
    And sometimes the cost is less, because no fee for the hotel to be paid to the portal.

I thought they were paranoic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I know some people always deal directly with the hotel/airline, exactly because of this.
    Use the travel portal only to gather info etc.
    And sometimes the cost is less, because no fee for the hotel to be paid to the portal.

I thought they were paranoic
    Having done package holidays for years we ended up booking directly with hotels/airlines/trains - so much more control, and no more expensive. That said, we have not been O/S since Covid started.

Yes i must admit i will always book direct when it is convenient to do so... usually when planning a non-standard trip, i.e flying in and out of different airports, or multiple hotels in one trip.

Update:
    last Wednesday they told me that the previous day my case got escalated, and they were going to get in touch within 72hr, so latest Friday (today). In fact, the person said "I will PERSONALLY get in touch with you".

As expected, nobody got in touch.

So I just called them. Guess what...? I was told that they are looking at my case and they will get in touch within 72hr, so by Monday (does weekend count? dunno). Keep kicking the can further down the road.

I hate them soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Master
    Two years in a row I did the following, once by myself, then with my partner and daughter: Overnight hotel at Luton, including 2 weeks parking - flight to Switzerland - train to Zermatt - 1 week in a hotel - train to Kitzbuhel - 1 week in a hotel - flight back to Luton. The flights were with different carriers. All elements were booked separately; the trains between Zermatt and Kitzbuhel were booked through the excellent German Railways website. The only hiccup was missing a connection by minutes when we got stuck in a lift - subsequent railway connections were easily rebooked. I would not do it any other way. There was of course a mountain running event at each destination.