Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Weather is news

Heavy snow here today. Mrs Noel and I were driven inside from working in the garden.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Heavy snow here today. Mrs Noel and I were driven inside from working in the garden.
    No snow here yesterday, just a light rain shower. But today we have had some graupel.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

We've had snow, hail, and bright warm sunshine, during the several hours i've been out at the track today.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    What are your plans for training on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, when the heatwave arrives? It's not so bad for someone like me, who only runs two or three days per week anyway; I simply won't go running when temperatures locally are forecast as 33C (Monday) or 36C (Tuesday). But what about daily runners? Go out at 5am, or what?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

No change for me... will just take it as steady as necessary... although the 5km in the track league on sunday is likely to be shortened to a 3km due to concerns over the heat.

The subject does remind me of training in Bangkok... we had to get up at 6am to do our daily 10km run before the sun got up too high. By the time we were finished around 7am it was sweltering.... the PM 3-5km run/sprints were an absolute horror-show in mid-afternoon tropical heat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    What are your plans for training on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, when the heatwave arrives? It's not so bad for someone like me, who only runs two or three days per week anyway; I simply won't go running when temperatures locally are forecast as 33C (Monday) or 36C (Tuesday). But what about daily runners? Go out at 5am, or what?
    I will just go out early, and it is usually nicer the higher you go. That cold drink from the fridge should be good when I get back.

I'll be unaffected, due to not having a training pattern! I need to change that though.

I hope people appreciate not having to endure airports chaos, cancelled flights, potential covid in order to fly to the Med and sit in the hot sun drinking beer.
    They can now do it in their garden or local park with no hassle and a fraction of the cost.
    A win situation 👍
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I hope people appreciate not having to endure airports chaos, cancelled flights, potential covid in order to fly to the Med and sit in the hot sun drinking beer.
    They can now do it in their garden or local park with no hassle and a fraction of the cost.
    A win situation ��

Perhaps I live in a parallel universe but I have returned this week from touring Uzbekistan. The temperature was 40 C but I had a hat and water, the Uzbekistan Airways flights from Heathrow T4 to/from Tashkent were faultless, the journey on the Uzbekistan HST (the Afrasiab) was more impressive than anything in Britain.

Quite impressive for a country that shares a border with Afghanistan and is mainly a desert.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-07-2022 at 01:27 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    A win situation ��
    Do people really want temperatures in the 30s or above - or do they just want the reliable absence of rain. I think it is the latter.