Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather is news

had an epic in august in glencoe doing the 3 sisters with torrenttial rain and to say this is probably the first few bad days we,ve had this winter the news does exaggerate would still say the weather is topsy turvy to say the least here hoping for summer weather in february

My friend's 96 year old blind mother, who was widowed a couple months ago, was recently fleeced for over £500 by someone claiming her roof needed repairs. She has retained her sense of humour though by commenting that the recent weather is 'good for roofers' :-)

Master
    ...reminds me of the Old English Sheepdog that got fleeced, saying "good for woofers"....

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Is it just me or every time we have a windy day with rain does it make news headlines?

Its been like this for the last 50 years to my knowledge.
    It's a joke Trev, i think it's part of this circle of moaning that goes on regarding how very hard life is these days. We've run out of new things to moan about so the weather gets it in the neck; this enables people to moan about energy prices and moan at the council for not evaporating rainwater as soon as it hits the floor. Some snow showers are due some time soon which means councillors will once again be paraded on Look North like naughty schoolboys and asked to turn out their pockets re. gritting.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Weather brings the moaners who have a weather story to tell out.

Right, time to moan....not about the weather itself but the fact that the BBC 10 'clock news put much more emphasis on the travel disruption down south than on the tragic circumstances in which 2 people died after falling into raging torrents, one in Ambleside and one in Snowdonia.

conditions so bad down south they have power cuts. our friends had to make their crème brulee by torch light?

It's a joke Trev, i think it's part of this circle of moaning that goes on regarding how very hard life is these days.
    I often wondered how people said this sort of stuff and actually believed it, usually involves a sentence like "the stress of living in the modern world" as if somehow it's harder now than it was in Serfdom trying to work a field with an Ox and a wooden plough just to avoid starvation with next to sod all health care.

But, yes people love to moan. It's like the media portrayal of a society wrecked by binge drinking. I only recently discovered that the beer industry in the UK peaked in 1874 when it employed 1.5million people and accounted for 30% of the governments revenue. Since this point, consumption rates have steadily and continuously declined. This was up to the late 90's at least, and was helped along by the temperance movement at times. Which means that our countrys relative (to the rest of the world) technological and industrial zenith was reached, by and large, a lot drunker than we are today.

Anyway, enough moaning.
    pies

The weather is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlonging where I am! Windy as owt!
    I wont be (sh) long, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I often wondered how people said this sort of stuff and actually believed it, usually involves a sentence like "the stress of living in the modern world" as if somehow it's harder now than it was in Serfdom trying to work a field with an Ox and a wooden plough just to avoid starvation with next to sod all health care.

Anyway, enough moaning.
    Those serfs were lucky, round here there were no oxes and wooden ploughs, they had to dig the soil with their bare hands
    No country for old men.