Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tankys Trog

Tankys Trog

There has been some talk about old results for Tanky's Trog on Face Book. This was almost an underground race in the early days, you registered from the back of a car, Often Luvsacks before being sent off. this is a shame as this was originally a race in true Fell running tradition. It had legendary status and showed great reliance on personal ability.

If you were lucky you might get a result sheet but they were never published.

So I'm trying to get as many of those early results and I'll put them on line.

I'll post a link on here when it's done but if any one has any results hidden away I'd appreciate a copy

So far I have thanks to Andy Plummer I have 1990 to 2009 and 1980

If any one could fill in the gaps in those early years it would be great.

Thanks

Interesting Ian. Was it generally thoroughly recceyed, or was it more of a turn up and just damn well do it kind of thing?

I have fond memories of the Trog and of Tanky ! It would be great to see some of the old results and I would for one be most appreciated if in fact they could be posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Interesting Ian. Was it generally thoroughly recceyed, or was it more of a turn up and just damn well do it kind of thing?
    I'm sure they would have done, maybe not as much as today. Certainly the personal secret routes that people had stayed that way, now it's all laid out on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have fond memories of the Trog and of Tanky ! It would be great to see some of the old results and I would for one be most appreciated if in fact they could be posted here.
    I used to go and have a cup of tea with him in his shop 22+ years ago. my shop was just off the Moor 5 minutes away.

I've just had a flick through, some big names in there and a few scalps taken at times. What's interesting is looking at the runners I raced against who I didn't know at the time who are now friends from other connection.

soon as I've got them scanned in I'll post a link.

Ian

Barry Needle.....a legend, friend of Tanky and ran that many a year!

Quote Originally Posted by ME.DOUBLE View Post
    Barry Needle.....a legend, friend of Tanky and ran that many a year!
    yes I know Barry, even have the odd pint with him, lives just round the corner from me Si
    Did you know he used to be in our Rescue Team and an expedition doctor on Everest.

Indeed. Legend.

Another hard man was Robin Price - on at least one occasion Robin, a very modest bloke, drove himself to Marsden and left his trusty Bedford van there, did the race and rather than ask anyone for a lift from Edale, turned round and ran back to Marsden!!

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    Another hard man was Robin Price - on at least one occasion Robin, a very modest bloke, drove himself to Marsden and left his trusty Bedford van there, did the race and rather than ask anyone for a lift from Edale, turned round and ran back to Marsden!!
    I know Robin

about 7 or 8 years ago on a very wet fellsman I was put in to a night group with a older runner. I did all the navigation on a very thick night, heavy rain and clag. He sat at the back and just kept going, at day break he told me he done the fellsman 20+ times and was just keeping an eye on me to make sure I went the right way.....as you say a proper hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    There has been some talk about old results for Tanky's Trog on Face Book. This was almost an underground race in the early days, you registered from the back of a car, Often Luvsacks before being sent off. this is a shame as this was originally a race in true Fell running tradition. It had legendary status and showed great reliance on personal ability.

If you were lucky you might get a result sheet but they were never published.

So I'm trying to get as many of those early results and I'll put them on line.

I'll post a link on here when it's done but if any one has any results hidden away I'd appreciate a copy

So far I have thanks to Andy Plummer I have 1990 to 2009 and 1980

If any one could fill in the gaps in those early years it would be great.

Thanks
    Ian,

Now the KT 2014 is just about done & dusted....still a few pans to clean & neighbours to talk to..
    I'll have a proper root and see what I can find..as you rightly observed, I became involved with assisting in the later years..
    Which was a real pleasure, had a great craic' with Tanky & Co'...before heading off with the Grough-hounds..
    I've unearthed some words I wrote in the haze of a Trog, I'll email those to you as they might raise a wee smile....
    If not the odd Grouse!!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..