Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Clag"

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I too think clag is an RAF term. The norse word clag means mud or something like that and is nothing to do with low cloud or hill fog. Claggy to a viking means muddy
    Klag is the Norse word for mud (Norway, Denmark). It could be that there is a parallel between muddy water and misty air. We need the help of a linguist!

Aye we say clag in Barnsley for muddy. I don't have confuse folk when talking of running round in thick clag that you cant see anything in!

They imagine this...

Last edited by MickTor; 19-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

I was on Kinder last night, with the intention of going round the Downfall race route, but the clag was that thick I could barely see my feet. Decided to drop back down at Sandy Heys. Interestingly, once I'd dropped out of the mist it appeared to get darker. I can only assume that's because I was in a sort of 'light bubble' when I was on the top.

Thanks for all the advice. Went out again Thursday night in low thick cloud and holding the head tourch low works a treat! (Although slower) I'm off to invent a fog light for runners! Haha cheers phil

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by philblack40 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Went out again Thursday night in low thick cloud and holding the head tourch low works a treat! (Although slower) I'm off to invent a fog light for runners! Haha cheers phil
    I use a small hand torch mostly rather than head torch. Easier to point around, and put in a bumbag. SecurityIng do a metal case, waterproof, 1000 lumen version for £10? on amazon which lasts a long time on a charge of batteries. Much like the old maglites, but many many times brighter.

One other thing to be aware of (this time of year) is whiteout, rather than blackout, when a featureless blanket of snow and thick clag combine together to mean you cannot see where the sky stops, and the ground begins, the paths are concealed beneath snow, even in broad daylight. That can be very disorienting / scary the first time you experience it: if it is snowing /blow drifting at the time, even the footprints behind you can go featureless in minutes, so retracing steps is not easy.