Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Resignation fromCommittee

alwaysinjured
    Graham.

Whatever.
    This gone on far too long, and you are LAST one who should talk about insults.

On teaching grandmothers, if you knew anything about safety, you would know that safety management does not usurp the expert knowledge, it is a process to formalize it. And, you and Madders have no greater pool of hands on expertise either! So as most of your views on such as this, "teaching grandmothers" is mistaken assumption about something you know little about.

And as for others like committee, everyone in this does have something to answer for. It is impossible to say so without ruffling feathers.

Any safety or quality review, first fixes the outcome of a problem, then absolutely has to fix the process that created it. The July rules illustrate a far deeper problem, which ripples into everything else. The first principle of good practise, is you have to control the process and you cannot trust good practise unless you trust the process that creates it. And when that fails, until it is fixed nothing else that comes out can be trusted either.

The July rules were clearly not fit for purpose (and acknowledged as such, now amended), but passed unanimously. That is a greater problem than the rules themselves.

Any proper safety or quality process , having addressed the problem of rules, then absolutely has to change the mix and skills of those that created them, the review processes that should have found them but did not (this case broadcast to more RO such as Wynn), So the whole committee have something to answer - the approval process by which something faulty ever got approved, and that clearly needs addressing, since they all voted for something faulty.

So no other "unanimous" document can be trusted till those things are fixed. The elected right to decide what goes is simply not good enough for safety, and one thing about safety culture is getting rid of the hierarchy attitude. The man that has to do it (Wynn) should have a greater voice than all others, and effective right of veto, if she cannot comply.

The only one that ever owned up to a mistake in approval, for which I applaud him was Andy who admitted later, he had not looked under the hood, and until others recognise their part in that , then no greater trust can be put in any other "Unanimous document" either. All of them equally flawed. The old council and bike shed syndrome.

Actually my greatest criticism is not in respect of that, but the fact that common sense dictated Andy's views should be heard on the safety committee, however unwelcome they may have been there, (and you could still outvote him there)Democratic process demanded his right to a vote to get him there, and our pressure to achieve that was democracy in action and yet you and others decided not to let that vote, so you did not have to let him in. I think committee should have more backbone in standing up to abuse of democracy, which is how the term was coined.. Nothing to do with Andys views, all to do with his rights as committee.

Anyway, I am sure you will continue to do it your way, which is why I have little interest left.

My only real interest was something Wynn could sign up to , and you calling her "recalcitrant", Madders calling her "deluded" , instead of the pair of you actually looking at how she manages her races, to see what you could learn, were much of what put a stop to that. The horse has bolted. Rightly so.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 22-01-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I disagree. It's only through engagement by the committee and Graham on this debate that we can see where Mike and others have merit and where they do not. We don't have all the facts ourselves, so need the committee to refute things they believe to be untrue or unjustified.

At some point we need to reach a state of affairs where:
    they agree
    they agree to differ

That can only be reached by discussion. I agree that statement and counter-statement is a lot less productive than a chat. It now seems that Mike is the one who is being intransigent by refusing to have a chat about his numerous issues.
    There is an assumption that forum contributors are in some unfathomable way representative of FRA members. There are probably less active forum members than committee members and most of them are 'injured' which is probably why they are active forum members.
    Last edited by Henry Porter; 22-01-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Bleeding heart, pinko, liberal. (no safety pins)

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I disagree. It's only through engagement by the committee and Graham on this debate that we can see where Mike and others have merit and where they do not. We don't have all the facts ourselves, so need the committee to refute things they believe to be untrue or unjustified.

At some point we need to reach a state of affairs where:
    they agree
    they agree to differ

That can only be reached by discussion. I agree that statement and counter-statement is a lot less productive than a chat. It now seems that Mike is the one who is being intransigent by refusing to have a chat about his numerous issues.
    Not so. Happy to do the presentation to the type of group that Witton proposes, including RO and whoever you like.

In the end the committee serve the membership. If RO see it, like it, think it should happen, the committee has to listen to that. That always was the right way to do it, and always was what I suggested.

Making it so uncomfortable for Andy that he had to leave was a Rubicon for me too. In my willingness to help out, because I am like him in outlook. What he cannot abide, neither can I It demonstrated that those present in force cannot accommodate open government or Andys way of thinking.
    This secretive stuff has to go.

So open discussion with RO. (and committee who want to come) Bring it on.

Meanwhile I will continue to answer the scores of contacts I get from RO, who are clearly concerned, but uncomfortable expressing the views out in the open, so are counted amongst the 300 "bought in"
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 22-01-2014 at 01:09 PM.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    most of them are 'injured' which is probably why they are active forum members.
    There is Many a truth, spoken in jest!

[QUOTE=Graham Breeze;572326]
    Madeleine and I were with Scoffer on Monday evening at the 7th RO workshop in Keswick. We talked a lot and joked about his other race (Steel Fell). He has no problems. In the room were the RO for Borrowdale, Sedbergh Hills, Fairfield, Langdale, and others.. none of those four are just jogs round a park. Mike Robinson was there. I had a long chat with Roger Bell about Langdale. Was he happy with everything Madeleine and I and Jon Broxap and Nick Harris had said that evening? Would Langdale be on etc etc?

/QUOTE]

I'm content with that thankyou and I'm sure most FRA members are aswell. So thankyou for what you are doing.

I think it is time to stop these threads, stop the insults, let the committee do what they are doing and be done with it. I imagine it is causing a lot of unneccessary stress to people who are giving up their free time for us.

alwaysinjured
    [QUOTE=luxinterior;572344]
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Madeleine and I were with Scoffer on Monday evening at the 7th RO workshop in Keswick. We talked a lot and joked about his other race (Steel Fell). He has no problems. In the room were the RO for Borrowdale, Sedbergh Hills, Fairfield, Langdale, and others.. none of those four are just jogs round a park. Mike Robinson was there. I had a long chat with Roger Bell about Langdale. Was he happy with everything Madeleine and I and Jon Broxap and Nick Harris had said that evening? Would Langdale be on etc etc?

/QUOTE]

I'm content with that thankyou and I'm sure most FRA members are aswell. So thankyou for what you are doing.

I think it is time to stop these threads, stop the insults, let the committee do what they are doing and be done with it. I imagine it is causing a lot of unneccessary stress to people who are giving up their free time for us.
    Defacto that is true. I have given up.

But for avoidance of doubt on the rules: I have fallen in scoffers first couple of hundred metres, down that horrible lane, and banged a leg, and knackered an elbow Seen other slip, trip , fall and even trampled because of crowding there. And you only have to google "Michael Schumacher" to see how hitting an "unlucky" rock on the way down can end in tragedy, even when wearing a hard hat!

So no way on earth can scoffer sign up for " a field size that poses no risk of accidents due to overcrowding". A solicitor has expressed the same concern in general, though not about that race. And why on earth would we want that in the rules anyway? or guidelines that say "no hazardous ground" when none of the big ones comply. The fact that some agree to live with that, does not mean they should have to.

And for avoidance of doubt, the issue that radiates through the Sailbeck incident was lack of proper planning procedures. Until that is addressed, all are at risk.

At least one on that list called me a week ago wondering what else he could do other than FRA....

So there is still a problem, denying it won't make it better.

And to the relief of GB, and the cheering of most, there is a line drawn under it all regards this forum
    ************************************************** *******************************
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 22-01-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    There is an assumption that forum contributors are in some unfathomable way representative of FRA members. There are probably less active forum members than committee members and most of them are 'injured' which is probably why they are active forum members.
    Care to talk more shite..

I run 4000+ miles a year, GB, Welsh international.. am I less active?

Just 2,500 miles for me last year

[QUOTE=alwaysinjured;572347]
    Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post

Defacto that is true. I have given up.

But for avoidance of doubt on the rules: I have fallen in scoffers first couple of hundred metres, down that horrible lane, and banged a leg, and knackered an elbow Seen other slip, trip , fall and even trampled because of crowding there. And you only have to google "Michael Schumacher" to see how hitting an "unlucky" rock on the way down can end in tragedy, even when wearing a hard hat!

So no way on earth can scoffer sign up for " a field size that poses no risk of accidents due to overcrowding". A solicitor has expressed the same concern in general, though not about that race. And why on earth would we want that in the rules anyway? or guidelines that say "no hazardous ground" when none of the big ones comply. The fact that some agree to live with that, does not mean they should.

And for avoidance of doubt, the issue that radiates through the Sailbeck incident was lack of proper planning procedures. Until that is addressed, all are at risk.

At least one on that list called me a week ago wondering what else he could do other than FRA....

So there is still a problem, denying it won't make it better.

************************************************** *******************************
    We all get it we don't need to hear anymore.

Clearly a number of RO are OK with what is happening as explained by Graham - that is their free choice.

You are not Ok with the changes - that is your free choice we all get that.

Lets move on

And 1450 miles for me. This forum is actually more representative of the membership than any recent AGM, as there are far more active forum members than AGM attendees. And a lot of us care a lot that our sport is run effectively, which is why we've been following all this stuff. Think before you post, Henry.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club