Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin fenix?

Garmin fenix?

Anyone used one or have much knowledge of them?

I looked into it last year but went for the Suunto Ambit instead... which I love to bits

A friend of mine has had one for about 9 months, its had a recurring problem which he has sent it back for. The problem still persists. I believe he thinks of it as a waste of money.

Others may have had different experiences.

Personally, I have an Ambit. Its had some teething issues since its release, but Im pretty happy with it.

I've had the Fenix for over a year. I have had problems with it like it rebooting at random times. The current firmware ver 4.0 has greatly improved the watch and it works just fine. At the time I bought it I looked at both the Fenix and the Ambit but the Fenix had far better navigation than the Ambit. Suunto seems to have now fixed this with their trackback feature.

Pros for the fenix;
    Works directly with gpx files so I can save a track from Memorymap straight to the watch.
    It has loads of features built in so no need for separate apps.
    Not tied to an online website.
    Better fit to fairly small wrists.

Cons: the battery life is around 11hours not the 15 that Garmin claim.
    Fogging of the screen in the winter but only when high up.

If I had to replace Fenix I would probably go for the Ambit2 just on the battery life alone. Although I don't fancy being tied to Movescount.

Quote Originally Posted by overthecrowroad View Post

If I had to replace Fenix I would probably go for the Ambit2 just on the battery life alone. Although I don't fancy being tied to Movescount.
    With my ambit I'm not tied to movescount. I also (rather sadly) export the gpx file from moves count to strava and garmin connect

Ditto on the exporting GPX files. Not sad... just... um... interested

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    With my ambit I'm not tied to movescount. I also (rather sadly) export the gpx file from moves count to strava and garmin connect
    That's actual what I meant by tied to Movescount. You have to go to Movescount and then export a gpx. As far as I'm aware you can't import or export a gpx directly to the watch using, for example, Memorymap. It's doable but a faff I could do without.

11 hrs battery life!!!??? Not much use ona bg round then! The website I was looking at claims 50 hours battery on GPS mode?

Yup even garmins website makes the bold claim!
    Battery life up to 50 hours (GPS mode); 2 weeks (sensor mode); 6 weeks (watch mode)

Is it possible they have updated the battery in them??

I suspect its like the ambit in that you can adjust the gap between gps fixes and thus extend the battery life that way (in exchange for having all the corners of your route squared off ).

Or just carry a mobile battery charger and bob's your uncle.