Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Buttermere Sailbeck

Yeah it was a really really good course, it was the first time I'd done it and easily one of my favourite races so far. I'll be there next year if it's on again!

Master
    My first time, though I had recced the route. It is either unrunnably steep, or truly runnable, with often quite long sections in each category. The climb to Causey Pike certainly goes on and on - narrow paths with lots of potentially scratchy vegetation - glad I had tights/longish socks. The start has changed - now from a field just down from the NT car park rather than up the road, and on a nice level path on the opposite side of the valley to the previous route after that, until the first long climb. Perfect day for it - thanks to the RO and the marshals. My partner enjoyed walking up Rannerdale Knotts, and the ice cream at Syke's Farm Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    My first time, though I had recced the route. It is either unrunnably steep, or truly runnable, with often quite long sections in each category. The climb to Causey Pike certainly goes on and on - narrow paths with lots of potentially scratchy vegetation - glad I had tights/longish socks. The start has changed - now from a field just down from the NT car park rather than up the road, and on a nice level path on the opposite side of the valley to the previous route after that, until the first long climb. Perfect day for it - thanks to the RO and the marshals. My partner enjoyed walking up Rannerdale Knotts, and the ice cream at Syke's Farm Cafe.
    It matters little but I have always considered it to be the "best" Medium in the FRA Calendar. If you can run well at Sailbeck then you really are a fell runner.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Best AM on the calendar with more climbing than sme lakes ALs.
    sad to miss it this year but logistics got in the way.

A few photographs from the race whilst marshalling on Causey. Click the images to enlarge.

felly

http://fellephant.com

Master
    Super shots - can we copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Super shots - can we copy?
    No problem Mike, but can you please ©fellephant if you are using them for the web. My other small request is that if folk want to use them please don't alter them. That means by also leaving the ©fellephant watermark on the shot. My shots have been misrepresented (in many different forms) before and then credited to me. Drives me mad.

Glad you like the photographs Mike. Thanks for asking.

felly.
    Last edited by fellephant; 14-05-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fellephant View Post
    A few photographs from the race whilst marshalling on Causey. Click the images to enlarge.

felly

http://fellephant.com
    brilliant photos. thanks for sharing Felly.

Buttermere Sailbeck Fell Race

The name Buttermere derives from Old English and means - the lake by the dairy pastures. What a match made in heaven - the quintessential Lakeland village of Buttermere with its majestic lake and the brilliance of Buttermere Sailbeck Fell Race all synonymous with butter. Without butter there’d be no cake, without cake I’d have probably never become a fellrunner. The guilt free eating of copious amounts of cake is the perfect just rewards for running up hill and down dale...that and beer. All hail the fertile nature of dairy pastures.

From an early age we’re led to believe that our liking for the consumption of butter derives from the reflective glow of the buttercup flower. No doubt you’ve participated in and have fond memories of playing the buttercup game - friends or family would hold a buttercup beneath your chin and rejoice as your skin illuminated with a pale yellow glow. You’d return the favour and always the same result would be visualised and celebrated. Thus proving the innocence of childhood seeks verification by observation and experience rather than theory or pure logic. I guess there’s a scientific reason why everybody displays reflective evidence of having a fondness for butter. Evidently the light will always bounce off the distinctive glossiness of the buttercup petals, regardless of your butter tendencies - as science doesn’t discriminate. I care not for the science behind this act of buttercup illumination, for I like to remain simplistic and young at heart: ideal traits of being a fellrunner.

On the morning of the race the mere thought of Buttermere had swayed my decision to have butter on toast, it’s too early for cake. The recent hot weather had prompted a butter dish relocation from the kitchen worktop to the fridge. The switch of location was justified as the butter had started to liquify at room temperature. It’s not alone - I’d started to liquify beads of sweat whilst trying to negotiate the tricky un-spreadable nature of the now rock hard refrigerated condiment. Meanwhile, my wife laughs at my dairy product predicament and says “you should use margarine, you wouldn’t believe it’s not butter”. She continues to observe my un-spreadable struggle then goes completely off topic and tells me I have the appearance of someone who probably stinks. I’m left in shock by my wife’s derogatory comment. Alison then reneges slightly by informing me that she has a strong emotional attachment to my individual natural scent. Apparently I don’t smell untoward, I actually smell lovely...but my disheveled appearance could be construed to suggest otherwise, especially amongst strangers who by the large are often judgmental. I take this as a backhanded compliment, shrug my shoulders and enjoy my breakfast safe in the knowledge that my wife finds my pheromones irresistible. And if truth be told - I couldn’t give a monkeys what strangers think.

Pre-race and I’m parked up alongside Wharfedale Harriers runner Mark ‘Goldie’ Mcgoldrick. Now, going by my wifes earlier ‘disheveled’ observation, then Mark must surely be my polar opposite. He’s always immaculately groomed, akin to a shampoo model - granted he’s more budget range than the expensive brands. Mark’s also extremely well-presented like a well-made hotel bed - albeit more Travelodge than The Ritz. His dapper style and standards of cleanliness has me surmising that Mark smells like a new bar of soap - pleasant and mild. I go over for a chat, we talk football because we’re blokes. I’m tempted to ask Mark how much maintenance is required in achieving barnet perfection but I resist the urge as I know my persona - I’m rough around the edges so what’s the point in trying to polish a turd?.

Dispelling the myth - not all Yorkshire men are tight!
    Whilst enthusing over his beloved Liverpool’s recent impressive exploits in the Champions League, Mark inadvertently locked his keys within his motor. This is obviously a huge inconvenience, especially with the race starting imminently and Mark’s running gear is housed within the vehicle. After much head scratching, where his hair remained immaculate, he decided to smash a rear side window. Financially, calling roadside assistance would’ve been a more frugal solution but Mark would’ve missed the race. He choose fellrunning before monetary status...eeh by gum!

Dispelling the stereotype - not all scousers are scallies!
    Beforehand whilst trying to figure out a means of gaining access into Mark’s locked motor we both looked at each other and simultaneously said “Stuart Russell”. The Calder Valley runner is a scouser, which by comparison we’d come to the prejudgemental verdict that Stuart would be able to access a locked vehicle. He couldn’t - and rightfully so displayed a light-hearted disapproval towards our false assumption...sound!

Admittedly watching my mate repeatedly pounding away at his car window with a cumbersome sized rock was extremely exciting. A passerby commented that Mark’s technique and choice of blunt implement was hindering his progress. The passerby informed me that the surface area of Mark’s chosen rock was too large, thus causing the impact to be less overwhelming. Mr Smarty-pants passerby says a more definitive point of contact is required - a sharp sudden blow administered by a pointed tool would be more appropriate. I don’t like Mr Smarty-pants, he’s too overzealous in restraining his excitable Springer Spaniel...basically he’s the tool.

Could the race possibly compete with the excitement of the Buttermere break in? Yeah, without a doubt - as it’s arguably one of the best medium category races in the calendar, it’s smashing. Many thanks to Mike and Hazel Robinson and all helpers. Well done race winners Brennan Townshend and Sharon Taylor and a special well done to Mr Mcgoldrick for finishing 6th despite his stressful pre-race warm up.

The following day I was weeding the back garden. Childhood memories also dictate that picking dandelions can make you wet the bed. We called them: “piss-the-beds”...but therein lies some truth as dandelions can have a diuretic effect. Thankfully after my green fingered afternoon, I can categorically report that our bed remained dry - my plumbing is in fine fettle ...unlike Mark ‘Goldie’ Mcgoldrick’s passenger side rear window.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 21-05-2019 at 08:00 AM.

When you leave Buttermere village on the Newlands road, after about half a mile on the left there is a trod which provides an alternative to the road up to Newlands Hause, to start the climb of Knott Rigg...

Given free route choice, is it quicker/easier to follow this trod up, or to stay on the road until the top of the pass?

Looking at the map, i suspect there's barely anything in it... but wonder if any veterans of this race have an opinion?