Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Buttermere Sailbeck

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I've done the race a few times - it's probably my favourite AM - but I don't recall anyone taking the road all the way to the top of the pass. The gradient eases off after you leave the road so leaving all of the climbing to the end so you can definitely hit the base of the climb at a good pace. In that respect, I would definitely favour the race route as I would definitely lose time on such a long climb on the road.

Banned
    When I did the race the couple who took the road were behind me at the summit.

The trod to the bottom of the hill is good running. Then a climb.

The road climbs immediately from the village.

I think I heard a suggestion that in future it would start from the finish field and head out from the top of that to pick up the same trod after crossing the beck a little way up the valley. That would avoid the road (and the very steep first bit) altogether.

Thanks all...

This is the next race in the Kong Summer Series, and being ran using the Maprun App which seems quite popular at the moment. So i'll be giving it a go in about 4 weeks time.

Never done the race (hence the question), however i have covered nearly all the route on other runs/races. The only bit i'm unfamiliar with is the section off Ard Crags down to Rigg Beck cp, and then climbing Causey Pike from that side. Although it doesn't appear too navigationally complex (famous last words!)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thanks all...

This is the next race in the Kong Summer Series, and being ran using the Maprun App which seems quite popular at the moment. So i'll be giving it a go in about 4 weeks time.

Never done the race (hence the question), however i have covered nearly all the route on other runs/races. The only bit i'm unfamiliar with is the section off Ard Crags down to Rigg Beck cp, and then climbing Causey Pike from that side. Although it doesn't appear too navigationally complex (famous last words!)
    I actually descended the Causey climb today! It's not that obvious to start with at the moment as there is waist high bracken to contend with. Once through that it's basically a trod through (now burnt out) heather making a beeline for Sleet Hause. It starts at a boulder on the path down Rigg Beck. The descent from Ard Crags is obvious - straight down the ridgeline and make for the path to the CP.

Thanks Pete... yes i've had a good scout of it on the OS map and Google Maps, and fairly happy with that section.

After a good bit of detective-work i'd set an ambitious target of 2hrs... however a look at recent results and i think 2hrs10 might be more realistic to aim for on a first attempt...

I can't remember what my best was but no doubt nearer 2.30. Don't underestimate the amount of climb - it just keeps on coming - but the final descent has to be one of the best there is. Good luck!

Thanks all...

I envy you encountering this race for the first time.

It is a great route and the most challenging Medium. I first ran it in 1988. The climb to Ard Crags clears the head, you have a wonderful descent to CP 2 knowing you have to climb all the way back up to Causey Pike which you see to your left as you descend. After a 180 degree turn you follow the path up through the heather and then from Causey follow the undulating ridge*, with splendid views to left and right up to Crag Hill. (* The ridge line is of course very exposed in foul weather and that was presumably instrumental in Brian Belfield's death). Then after Crag Hill, ensuring you get the right line to Whiteless Pike and don't drift to the right (or left),you have a wonderful descent.

It was always my favourite race, fell running doesn't get any better and when you finish Sailbeck you know you've been fell running.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks Pete... yes i've had a good scout of it on the OS map and Google Maps, and fairly happy with that section.

After a good bit of detective-work i'd set an ambitious target of 2hrs... however a look at recent results and i think 2hrs10 might be more realistic to aim for on a first attempt...
    Oooh. You prompted me to check. I did 2.01 when I was 44 so a young fast track-honed man like yourself will simply bound up those climbs,sprint along the ridge and be a blur of white light on the glorious run down to the finish.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

You have a lot more faith in my ability than I do Graham...!

Knowing your cv as a runner, I'd say if you did 2:01 then I would struggle to get near that.

But on the other hand, I see that our very own Tindersticks ran sub 2hrs in the last few years...I reckon if I have a very good run, on a "climbers course", I could stay within 5mins of him...

So in conclusion, who knows!!