Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Buttermere Sailbeck

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thanks Pete.
    I'll download and install later (and I've updated my profile settings!)

And as Mark G suggested a couple of pages back, the start line is indeed on the north side of the beck up by the trees, meaning no road section at all.

Interesting. I'm almost definitely going to doing this now. Where do you cross the beck?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Interesting. I'm almost definitely going to doing this now. Where do you cross the beck?
    Well, it's free route choice... the most logical point to me appears to be where the little south-west ridge comes down from Knott Rigg... then get on the race path that was discussed a couple of pages ago.

Also worth noting that the Rigg Beck cp is not at the road, it looks to be exactly at the start of the climb up Causey Pike.

I also noticed that Whitelss Pike is shown as a cp on the map, but not listed on the details you get after you enter. Although seeing as you head directly over it, i suppose that's not really worth worrying about.

Race map is now on the Kong Running site.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well, it's free route choice... the most logical point to me appears to be where the little south-west ridge comes down from Knott Rigg... then get on the race path that was discussed a couple of pages ago.

Also worth noting that the Rigg Beck cp is not at the road, it looks to be exactly at the start of the climb up Causey Pike.

Race map is now on the Kong Running site.
    The CP has never been down at the road but is on the path just as you turn back to start the climb up to Causey.

(I walked the route from the road to Crag Hill - the CP Brian Belfield did not reach - taking photographs for use at the Inquest)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-08-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The CP has never been down at the road but is on the path just as you turn back to start the climb up to Causey.
    Right...

I could swear i saw a race-map of old which showed it at the road... i must have been mistaken.

Thanks Pete, I'll recce the beck crossing beforehand. As GB says, Rigg Beck CP is definitely on the path. There is a small but notable light coloured boulder on your left which marks the CP and start of the climb up Causey.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It's forming part of the Kong Summer Series... of MapRun events... register via Kong website (£2), download the App and race map, which times you through start/checkpoints/finish, and collates the results. Once registered can be ran any time between 24th August and 13th September...
    I see. I won't be able to do this coz I don't have a smartphone to download the app. #stuckintheoldways

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    I see. I won't be able to do this coz I don't have a smartphone to download the app. #stuckintheoldways
    I don't suppose you have a GPS watch? Seems like they may accept entries on Strava as a backup to the app not working. Worth contacting the RO if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I don't suppose you have a GPS watch? Seems like they may accept entries on Strava as a backup to the app not working. Worth contacting the RO if you do.
    Yes that will work Lou used my Strava trace from my Garmin when I somehow managed not to start on BB Kong earlier in the series.
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners