Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Buttermere Sailbeck

Haha! Not even a GPS watch.

#mustgetwiththemoderntimes

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Haha! Not even a GPS watch.

#mustgetwiththemoderntimes
    a clubmate of mine - who shall remain nameless, but is usually at the sharp end of races - recently described me as "everything that is wrong about modern fell running". as i navigated a route by my GPS watch and OS app on my phone (it was not in a race, I hasten to add before i get hung out to dry).

Fastest time so far is 2:38 (only 5 people submitted a time so far though).

A look through the entry list shows a handful of forum names entered... DanGilbert probably looking like the bookies favourite of the forumites...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Just finished. Set myself a target of 2.30 and got round in 2.26. Didn't push it too hard after last week's fall but quite pleased with the time given the lack of training this year.

Nice one Pete... for some reason i thought you were doing it on sunday (same as me) and i thought i might see you...

All good using the App....?

Still a large number of people on the list of entrants who've not yet got their time in, so could be busy this weekend!

Fastest time currently 1:48.... forecast for sunday is poor (i'm not worried about navigation, but looks like the conditions could slow things down... getting excuses in early )

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Nice one Pete... for some reason i thought you were doing it on sunday (same as me) and i thought i might see you...

All good using the App....?

Still a large number of people on the list of entrants who've not yet got their time in, so could be busy this weekend!

Fastest time currently 1:48.... forecast for sunday is poor (i'm not worried about navigation, but looks like the conditions could slow things down... getting excuses in early )
    I'm here from today until Sunday and the weather looks like it will deteriorate so got my race in early. The app was fine - glad I did Callow first so I knew it was working OK on my phone. The last CP threw me - I felt sure it was by the gate on the path but it's actually right on the road junction.

Looks like the clag may be down on the higher ground over the weekend. There's really only one place where nav is tricky - finding Whiteless Edge from Eel Crag. There's quite an obvious trod if you can find it but a km straight line on a bearing of 230 should see you fine. Quite easy to end up wandering around Wandope or Grassmoor otherwise! Good luck on Sunday. Should have been the LDMT... :-(

Yes my weekend was originally based on the LDMT too...!

Nice to know about the final CP. Fairly happy with the nav throughout (famous last words), but yes the forecast is ringing a few alarm bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A look through the entry list shows a handful of forum names entered... DanGilbert probably looking like the bookies favourite of the forumites...
    Pressure! Not sure I fancy my chances after seeing some of the training you've been putting in.

I've had it penciled in for Saturday for a couple of weeks and the forecast looks pretty good. Agree with PeteS that Eel Crag to Whiteless is the section with the biggest scope for nav error. I speak from personal experience after taking a significant detour here in the clag the first time I did the race. Mainly due to lack of concentration and thinking all the hard work was done after reaching Eel Crag.

Good luck with your attempt on Sunday, hopefully the weather will be better than the forecast currently suggests.

Good luck tomorrow Dan. Hope the weather is fair...

Glad I didn't do it today. Weather has been atrocious all day. Looking better for the weekend though. Good luck both.