Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BG attempts 20-21st July

BG attempts 20-21st July

We had a BG contender out friday night through saturday evening.... here's a brief description from one of our reporters at the scene...
    Despite horrendous conditions on the Helvellyn leg,with virtually zero vis in the dark the team kept Digby going to a 23.5 hour BG.
    It all went nasty over Dodds ,Helvellyn, Fairfield but the club chairman,with help from Ross refused to panic or yield to the conditions & eventually brought him in to Dunmail with the loss of 90 minutes(a real baptism of fire for Janet & Sarah).
    In daylight & improved weather Digby buckled down to recover the time with the able support of a huge band of helpers & despite more bad vis & wet rock over the high fells he`d pulled back almost an hour at Wasdale,all the deficit by Honister & despite tiring a bit at the end he finished smiling to a huge welcoming party.
    A credit to him & club to succeed in these conditions,& well done to the chairman for sticking at it in "epic" conditions
    Beats sitting on the M5 for 20 hours in these conditions!

Re: BG attempts 20-21st July

Awesome stuff, well done.

Master

Excellent well done
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    We had a BG contender out friday night through saturday evening.... here's a brief description from one of our reporters at the scene...

Beats sitting on the M5 for 20 hours in these conditions!

fantastic , ace

eventually brought him in to Dunmail with the loss of 90 minutes
    Well done for sticking at it

Bill

Congratulations for getting round in bad weather - now have a good rest!

This summer's awful weather would have understandably thwarted many attempts, but there seem to have been far more tales of success than failure this year. I know of only 3 failures and I think there have been almost 40 successes (although I'm sure you're far far less likely to hear about the incomplete or 24 hour+ rounds). I wonder what this year's success/failure rate actually is?

All these successful rounds show that fellrunners are a tough and hardy bunch!

Well done again

ST

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Congratulations for getting round in bad weather - now have a good rest!

This summer's awful weather would have understandably thwarted many attempts, but there seem to have been far more tales of success than failure this year. I know of only 3 failures and I think there have been almost 40 successes (although I'm sure you're far far less likely to hear about the incomplete or 24 hour+ rounds). I wonder what this year's success/failure rate actually is?

All these successful rounds show that fellrunners are a tough and hardy bunch!

Well done again

ST
    By the way ST enjoyed reading your acount, sounded like lots of fun

Bill

Supported Nee Bothers BGR last weekend - weather was not nice on the first leg!

He managed to pull back time after that to get back in just over 20hrs.

Great weekend despite the weather!

Well done to Digby and team, the conditions through the night weren't too clever at all. To lose 90minutes and keep going in that weather is pure grit and determination, knowing & hoping you will claw it back later the day.

I had a midnight start on a 22 hour schedule and luckily lost only about 15 minutes to Threlkeld then cautiously kept going along the Dodds in the cloud, not too fast but gained quite a bit after Dollywaggon and was 6 minutes ahead at Dunmail.

Every successful round is an epic acheivement... In those conditions it's some feat. Well done to one and all... respect is due.