Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BG attempts 20-21st July

Re: BG attempts 20-21st July

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    This summer's awful weather would have understandably thwarted many attempts, but there seem to have been far more tales of success than failure this year. I know of only 3 failures and I think there have been almost 40 successes

ST
    There does seem to have been a great number of success stories this year and congrats to all however and I'm certainly not having a go at ST but surely if you line up at the start and you don't complete for what ever reason you have been unsuccessful Not a failure!!
    Speaking personally to have trained so hard for so long and seen a big improvement in my distance and hill ability only to be considered a failure seems a bit harsh.

Or am I being too PC...

Running (no pun intended) out of time for an attempt this year but will be back next year.

Ian

Master and MR

ian i think youve given it a good crack mate
    hope to see you out there next year , if ever your planning to recce a leg or two i would love to attend , your experience would be much appreciated.
    i dont think ST means owt by it , just a figure of speach mate

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    ian i think youve given it a good crack mate
    hope to see you out there next year , if ever your planning to recce a leg or two i would love to attend , your experience would be much appreciated.
    i dont think ST means owt by it , just a figure of speach mate
    Thanks Daz
    Will do, going on hols Sunday and will then be back in training,
    It wasn't directed at ST just a general comment.

Ian

You're right Ian, unsuccessful would have been a more appropriate word - apologies. It was simply a figure of speech as Daz points out; all bourne out of remark about what a crap summer we're having.

The very best of luck with your round mate.

ST

How you consider an unsuccessful round depends a lot on your head. Last year when I took just over 24 hours to get round many people here, at the club and on my blog were very supportive and described it as "unsuccessful" or "got round in just over 24 hours" and I thought I appreciated it and that it was doing me good.

It was only when I overheard one of my navigators and training partner, whilst recruiting a support team for the second attempt, describe my first attempt as a "failure" that I got my head round what had actually happened - I failed to get round in under 24 hours, no 'ifs', no 'buts' just simply failed to get round in under 24 hours.

From that point I approached my second attempt with much more realism and determination and it helped me a great deal to (over)hear it described as a failure - that was the dose of realism I needed. Thanks, CJ.