Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym sessions

Gym sessions

Any descent workouts for the legs to compliment the demands of fell running?
    Just cant get the right mix!!

Saw this the other day and it certainly feels like a good workout for the legs!

http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Yep going to give that a go, mid leg session me thinks, 3 sets 😁

I try and do weights once or twice a week. I used to do squats with higher reps and a lower weight eg 15 x 3 reps..ish, but I've found that my legs suffer for a couple of days after, especially my hams, so now I'm trying to do higher weights/lower reps, no more than 8 and I've found that the DOMS aren't as severe, although I'm not sure which is supposed to be more beneficial...
    I also think that bounding, heel flicks,toe flicks, high knee drills etc are quite good and can just be done as part of a warm-up..

basic premise is:
    High reps with low weights builds endurance
    Low reps with high weights builds strength

though it's much more complicated than that.

DOMs is just usually a sign of doing too much too soon, and could be caused with either sort of training.

I'd go for squats, single leg work once strong enough, dead lifts, RDLs, lunges (forwards, back, sideways) and some plyometrics such as hurdle jumps and box jumps plus step-ups and weighted steps ups.

2 exercises that are perfect for runners are get-ups (search turkish get-ups) and burpees.

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Saw this the other day and it certainly feels like a good workout for the legs!
    good workout....though like everything you'd need to build up to being able to do that from static squats and lunges, ensuring good form...no point doing what he does with bad form and creating imbalances and risking injury before someone's legs are strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    basic premise is:
    High reps with low weights builds endurance
    Low reps with high weights builds strength

though it's much more complicated than that.

DOMs is just usually a sign of doing too much too soon, and could be caused with either sort of training.

I'd go for squats, single leg work once strong enough, dead lifts, RDLs, lunges (forwards, back, sideways) and some plyometrics such as hurdle jumps and box jumps plus step-ups and weighted steps ups.

2 exercises that are perfect for runners are get-ups (search turkish get-ups) and burpees.

Cheers Cyclops, I've read some people recommending higher reps and others lower reps and that higher weights can increase bulk...but if you run enough that shouldn't be a problem?
    Dead lifts, straight legs or bent legs and what are RDLs?

I believe a bit of both worlds can benefit, one week of high reps one week of low with heavy weight, plus polymetric, just struggle to get a good balance to compliment my running

Also tabatta training is good

If you've got time, cycling is good.