Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym sessions

Quote Originally Posted by sol View Post
    Cheers Cyclops, I've read some people recommending higher reps and others lower reps and that higher weights can increase bulk...but if you run enough that shouldn't be a problem?
    Dead lifts, straight legs or bent legs and what are RDLs?
    You would only bulk up significantly if you followed a very intense and time consuming heavy lifting programme, we're talking heavy heavy lifting and lots of it over months to seriously bulk up. Plus some serious attention to nutrition. Not sure if you've met me or seen my photo but i lift fairly heavy weights regularly and I don't look massive or particularly muscley. What i have found though is that my running has got better with the strength work in my programme.

RDLs are romanian deadlifts. Youtube will show you diff between that and DL
    stiff leg DLs dont necessarily have totally straight legs, as in knee not locked out. The less bend in knee the more emphasis on hamstrings. RDLs put more emphasis on quads, but hams and glutes still involved.
    Best to get a PT or someone sho knows the differences to show you.

I have been struggling with abdominal muscle pain for about 4 months now. I started to go to the gym a couple of weeks ago concentrating on the stomach and lower back. I had a run tonight and for the first half no pain. It is a long time since I have had that! So fingers crossed I am doing the right thing. I would never have thought I would find myself in a gym but it is not without enjoyment!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    You would only bulk up significantly if you followed a very intense and time consuming heavy lifting programme, we're talking heavy heavy lifting and lots of it over months to seriously bulk up. Plus some serious attention to nutrition. Not sure if you've met me or seen my photo but i lift fairly heavy weights regularly and I don't look massive or particularly muscley. What i have found though is that my running has got better with the strength work in my programme.

RDLs are romanian deadlifts. Youtube will show you diff between that and DL
    stiff leg DLs dont necessarily have totally straight legs, as in knee not locked out. The less bend in knee the more emphasis on hamstrings. RDLs put more emphasis on quads, but hams and glutes still involved.
    Best to get a PT or someone sho knows the differences to show you.
    Important to remember that bulking up takes place in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Important to remember that bulking up takes place in the kitchen, not in the gym.
    technicalities. and generalities. it's a common misconception is the 'bulking up' is caused by lifting heavy weights.
    actual muscle growth (ie hypertrophy) happens during rest. muscle is technically broken down when we use them. hence the formula:

Progress = Training + Rest

remove training or rest and you don't get progress or at least not once you've plateau'd
    the subject is vast and difficult to disseminate into a short typed response. hence saying see a PT who has the knowledge to advise fully.

Its all about a bit of everything in moderation, and enjoy what you do.
    Im a Physical trainer in my spare time and I believe you have to enjoy what you do.
    Im not your typical runner, ive spent the last 6 months completly easing off on the running because I wasnt enjoying it.
    I hit the gym, did weights, heavy and light, did crossfit, etc and now ive started back into the off road running and although its difficult im loving it, and looking forward to some fell races this year.
    Mixing things up and doing a bit of everything keeps the body in good condition and looking forward to the next work out.

Tried that polymetric lunges and jump squat combination!! Wow legs were on fire!! Bring on the hills :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    technicalities. and generalities. it's a common misconception is the 'bulking up' is caused by lifting heavy weights.
    actual muscle growth (ie hypertrophy) happens during rest. muscle is technically broken down when we use them. hence the formula:

Progress = Training + Rest

remove training or rest and you don't get progress or at least not once you've plateau'd
    the subject is vast and difficult to disseminate into a short typed response. hence saying see a PT who has the knowledge to advise fully.
    Cyclops muscle is not broken down during exercise. There can be some leakage of enzymes from the muscles during intense training but the structural integrity of the fibres is unchanged.

I started attending a local metafit session during the back end of last year. Its a bit of a cross between an aerobic workout and core. Lots of plyometric jumps, squats etc as well as a few variations of press ups, planks and so on and a few sprints mixed up in it as well. Some good variations during the session of duration/rest/exercise combinations/orders keeps it interesting. A 20-30 minute session once a week with about another 45 minutes more traditional core strength work on top of running seems to be doing some good.

Went to my first ever gym class on Monday lucnh time, "core for beginers" walked in to a class full of 20ish girls and women (never a bad thing) and thought "what have I done this will be a waste of time" ! How wrong could I have been I struggeled to keep up, realised I have no co-ordiantion what so ever, and im still paying the price. Needless to say ill be going back next week !
    Good going down !!

Core work is so so important. Helps with everything!

i do core and stretch work most days in gym now (for last 4 months)what this has done is improved flexibility ,strength,stamina