Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not the place....

This is not the place....

Re the CVFR expulsion
    Don't you see what you're doing blocking threads, blocking democracy, stopping debate and discussion.
    Not a sensible option closing the thread imo.
    Not amused with this shutting down members' ability to (sensibly) chat about something.
    I can feel a new FRA coming on, one which welcomes any opinion (whether I agree or not), or are you at the mercy of those who only want to see their own (blinkered) views. You do remind me of the vaious fascist parties that have over time tried to silence others views. I might not agree with the comments from various folk, but by eck I'd be sad to ignore them, I willl always welcome opinion and other sides of the picture - do you?
    Not good for the image of the FRA, only allowing criticism if you agree with it. You are becoming a tad scarey with your bans...
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Totally agree..

In North Wales now, in road races, if you swap a number its a 12 month ban.. if you tested positive for using a PED or cheated another way you'd get less...

It's all just getting too officious.

I hope there is no 'new FRA'... it all just needs calming down and pulling together, splits are never the long term answer, but yeah I can see it happening.

Fellhound
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I hope there is no 'new FRA'... it all just needs calming down and pulling together, splits are never the long term answer, but yeah I can see it happening.
    I can only say that WFRA and SHR fulfill the needs of those who wish for a more open, independent tolerant and realistic (enlightened??) organisation in Wales and Scotland. At present there is no such body in England. If there were, the three could combine and form a truly UK-wide alliance for enlightened fellrunners...

It's a dilemma. Locking draws more attention and criticism (not at Brett of course). Not locking allows dirty washing to continue to be aired. Come to think of it, locking doesn't stop that because another thread starts up. The only solution is to shut down the entire forum, but that still leaves Facebook and who can shut that down?

For what it's worth I didn't see anything offensive with the quotation cited by Mr1470 as a reason for chastisement - about a woman not liking a man because he's a man. It happens. I've met a few in my lifetime.

Don't be so blinkered BritNick, in the context of the issue it was more than relevant. And so what if you have "met a few"? How do you know whether the person that was directed at is like that?

And that's the point isn't it....that matter was between one person and one club. Only they will know the facts behind what has and hasn't happened. The proper place for that to be discussed is off-forums, off-facebook and in a room with the club and that person. That is why it was ME who requested that the thread was shut down. Added to which, in the post by the person in question (which was subsequently deleted), he admitted that police had been involved. In such circumstances, I don't think the FRA and the admin(s?) on here would want to allow continued discussion for legal reasons.

That, of course, is a very different issue to the ongoing rules saga, upon which I shan't comment right now.

Now how about we all head over to here; http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...t-fell-running

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    It's a dilemma. Locking draws more attention and criticism (not at Brett of course). Not locking allows dirty washing to continue to be aired. Come to think of it, locking doesn't stop that because another thread starts up. The only solution is to shut down the entire forum, but that still leaves Facebook and who can shut that down?

For what it's worth I didn't see anything offensive with the quotation cited by Mr1470 as a reason for chastisement - about a woman not liking a man because he's a man. It happens. I've met a few in my lifetime.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Actually, I think that there is a broader issue here than just the one concerning one individual. There is plenty said in various corners of these pages (what was Down the Pub) and actually in the pub at fell races which might be considered offensive by someone or other (Dickheads take note). Imagine a club expelling someone for something posted in that thread.

That is why I raised the issue. I was disappointed to find that someone felt the need to suppress that discussion and have expressed as much privately to Brett.

There is no legal issue at stake here. It is finished as a police matter.

The thing is its not really a fell running issue is it (even though it applies to a fell running club in this instance). At it simplest a 'club' is a place for a group of like minded individuals and if that club collectively decide to sack off a member, its up to them.

I love the way that someone asked whether he was fast or not? Almost as if you can put up with (alleged) misdemeanours from running club members.... so long as they're fast

Banned
    Its a matter of opinions. We all have them and should be prepared to listern but doesn't mean we have to agree.

I fail to see how one member requesting a thread being locked is acted upon when the majority appeared to be post in a reasoned manor and debating an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Its a matter of opinions. We all have them and should be prepared to listern but doesn't mean we have to agree.

I fail to see how one member requesting a thread being locked is acted upon when the majority appeared to be post in a reasoned manor and debating an issue.
    It's a good point. But while we're at it, can we close off any threads about politics, cycling and headtorches? Thanks a lot.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by manothemoors View Post
    Actually, I think that there is a broader issue here than just the one concerning one individual

We agree on something! So start a thread stating explicitly that you don't want opinions on any one matter, just a general debate about what people think is and isn't acceptable on forums etc. It should be interesting and enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by manothemoors View Post
    Imagine a club expelling someone for something posted in that thread.
    Whether it's fellrunning or any other area of life, if I was to post something clearly traceable to me that was derogatory about a person or group of people, such that it impacted upon and, perhaps, brought into disrepute a club, organisation or business that I was part of, then I would, potentially, expect to be expelled, sacked etc. It's happening. I know of people who have been sacked from jobs for their online comments, where those comments were seen to have been detrimental to either the business or the ability of that person to function within the business.

There you go, you can even copy that as the opening gambit on your new debate thread.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog