Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft per week.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

10,000ft per week.

With the general opinion that good BG training involves 10,000 ft a week of ascent, I was wondering about the different ways to achieve this.

I have logged a few of my dog walks via Strava this week as my local woods have a few little banking's to move up and down. I reckon there's 500+ ft of climb during 2 or 3 walks with the pooch per day, would this count towards a weekly goal? Could be 3,500ft over the course of the week there.

Is it more beneficial to reach the 10,000 in a few good fell runs or is it just as good from a mixture of many walks and a few runs?

Regardless, the 3,500ft a week from taking the dog across the road can't be bad!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

I used to count my dog walks. I would take poor little Ernie up and down as many hills as I could find, sometimes 2 or 3 times, it all adds up and it really isn't that difficult to get 10,000ft per week in. Of course I would supplement this with runs through the week and longer stuff at the weekend. Once I started doing big days out in the Lake District, my 10,000ft per week easily became 15,000 - 20,000ft.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Super Moderator
    Mick, very useful 10,000feet per week thread here

RIP Darren. It was him all over trying to help folk out with advice and encouragement
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Mick, very useful 10,000feet per week thread here

RIP Darren. It was him all over trying to help folk out with advice and encouragement
    Thanks DT, I couldn't find anything when I looked.

Super Moderator
    Read post # 52 and then you'll know when you're ready for a run round
    Poacher turned game-keeper

For what it's worth, and I'm sure others will have their own opinions, I don't think 10,000ft a week is the be all and end all of BG training. It's a great goal and can only be beneficial, but I wouldn't worry too much about religiously hitting that target every week.

If you're able to have a solid 12-16 weeks training (off a good base) prior to your taper, I reckon hitting 10,000ft something like two of every three weeks is fine, so long as your big weeks have big days. Cumulative stuff like dog walks are all good, but I believe it's the big days* that really set you up for the round.

*If you get in a good few days of 4 miles and 1200ft of ascent and descent every hour for 6,7,8+ hours, you'll be in good shape.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    For what it's worth, and I'm sure others will have their own opinions, I don't think 10,000ft a week is the be all and end all of BG training. It's a great goal and can only be beneficial, but I wouldn't worry too much about religiously hitting that target every week.

If you're able to have a solid 12-16 weeks training (off a good base) prior to your taper, I reckon hitting 10,000ft something like two of every three weeks is fine, so long as your big weeks have big days. Cumulative stuff like dog walks are all good, but I believe it's the big days* that really set you up for the round.

*If you get in a good few days of 4 miles and 1200ft of ascent and descent every hour for 6,7,8+ hours, you'll be in good shape.

I think this is pretty much spot on. I can remember a thread last year that had similar advice (may have been from you Hank) about half a dozen 8 hr+ days on the route, or similar ground, being about the right amount of training. I followed a similar plan of three weeks 'on' and then one easy week. Once you get up to the 8hr plus days, 10000ft gets done on the long day out. 2 or 3 other runs during the week and you'll be up to 15000 before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackd View Post
    I think this is pretty much spot on. I can remember a thread last year that had similar advice (may have been from you Hank) about half a dozen 8 hr+ days on the route, or similar ground, being about the right amount of training. I followed a similar plan of three weeks 'on' and then one easy week. Once you get up to the 8hr plus days, 10000ft gets done on the long day out. 2 or 3 other runs during the week and you'll be up to 15000 before you know it.
    Haha, but living in or close to the Lakes really helps eh Jack?

I just looked at my strava records for 2013 and, with one failed a/c attempt last June and a c/w success in September, I did approximate monthly ascent as follows:

J 30K
    F 30K
    M 40K
    A 40K
    M 50K
    J 50K
    J 40K
    A 45K
    S 50K
    O 30K
    N 30K
    D 20K

Typically it was 2,500 ft to 3,000 ft in the week with longer efforts most weekends, with most of my running being in the Dales or in the Lake District. In both of my attempts by the way, I (relatively speaking) cruised all of the climbs but the downhills became tough going towards the end.
    Last edited by Stolly; 12-02-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Haha, but living in or close to the Lakes really helps eh Jack?
    Without a doubt. First to admit I had no excuse really. I was able to train on the fells, fine tune route choices and once I was up to double leg recces, I didn't need to plan how to get the ascent in. Only had to worry about injuries I suppose, and had a lucky 6 months just about niggle free (for once).

It's not easy for me to go out and get in a 5,000 + ascent in a run. I live near the Peak District but can't always get to the hills. I have to look at other options to steel up me legs!

To achieve 10,000 a week will take some effort for me. I think it's a good goal to have and can only be of benefit to me, regardless of how I achieve it.