Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update BG Fell Conditions

alwaysinjured

Update BG Fell Conditions

Thought it would be useful for all Those recceing ( and locals if they would be so good) to post any adverse fell conditions

Today 28/1 -Leg 1

Patchy snow over 2000 feet, total cover over 2400 - 4 inches deep with 2 foot drifts in places
    Total cover including paths. No hardening, so no need for kahtoolas or yaktrax
    Saw a couple of cornices over blencathra edge

So lonscale, calva no snow, cover on blencathra and skiddaw
    Looking across , snow line only very high on clough head, possibly only summit area.

Please add , from other reccies, or any information from locals please...
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 17-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.

"Training is like fighting a gorilla - you don’t stop when you’re tired; you stop when the gorilla’s tired."

alwaysinjured
    Today leg 1
    Continuous snow blanket above 2000 feet, ice on paths at 2500 eg path between gates to skiddaw, drifts deep enough to obscure path completely in places. Kahtoolas useful on summit plateau. Drifts have crust that can give, 1-2 feet deep in places. Clear below 1500-1700 feet.

Could see over to NW fells and central fells briefly similar story.
    Continuous Snow above step on robinson, above causey, from scree height on clough head etc.

These are great updates. Is anyone able to provide more recent/ regular reports?

Might get more visibility/ contribution in the 'General' forum?

Yesterday snow down to well below 500 ft, couple of inches worth, and icy slush where there had been surface water; and the tops looked like more snow. Was behind Latrig (leg 1) and old the old coach road (leg 2) yesterday. After I packed it in and got back in the car the sun came out and I understand today's its been raining, so maybe the snow is less now

I was over Fairfield yesterday and there's plenty of snow high up. Patchy from 500m and covered from 700m or so. Fairfield summit snow frozen solid with a good crust; spikes useful.

Not on the route, but going up the back of Red Screes from Scandale Pass was very hard work; a breaking crust on snow that was thigh-deep in places. Slopes with a similar aspect on the route will be very energy sapping.

Below the snow line the ground is absolutely saturated. I dread to think what Martcrag Moor will be like. Best pack a snorkel!
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Below the snow line the ground is absolutely saturated. I dread to think what Martcrag Moor will be like. Best pack a snorkel!
    well?? get out there and investigate

I did the TWA route yesterday and there is plenty of white stuff above 700m and below is, well messy. Robinson was a cooker to climb and had to kick steps and dalehead was ropey on decent. Take ya kathoolas.

Did the JNLC route from Dunmail to Great End and back on Sunday. Descent off Esk Pike in particular was treacherous without crampons/spikes as my mate Ian will testify!

Any snow on top of Blencathra (where's Blencathra from my kitchen when you need him ) / Clough head ? Looking to do 1 or 2 reps on Saturday. If anyone's in the area do say Hi, especially the crew out on the 2 day jaunt.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.